Prelude

I jump up from my bed, screaming from the nightmare I just had. I am sweating and panting when my heart rate slows down. The fear and adrenaline from my dream make me tremble and shiver.

I try not to think about how scared I was in the dream. It was nothing more than another normal nightmare. I look over at my phone and notice it's 5:30 AM.

It's hard to go back to sleep after my nightmare, so I stand up from my bed and exit my space pod.

I grab my phone and walk into the hallway. I turn on the lights and make my way toward the kitchen. My mom is always home by now and I know that she would let me spend some time with her. After all, it's my birthday in less than 2 weeks.

My mom is a great cook. I only wish I wasn't one of the 100 teenagers chosen to return to earth, so I would be able to stay and taste her cooking again.

I walk into the kitchen. "Happy Birthday, baby!" my mother says, hugging me and kissing my cheek.

I smile softly at my mom. "Thanks, mom. You didn't have to do that," I reply. "You know I hate birthdays." I'm 17 now. I've lived in this space pod with my family for almost three years. This is the first birthday I can remember without feeling like shit about it.

My mom laughs at me. "Just because you hate birthdays doesn't mean you should deprive yourself of them. Just enjoy being able to eat good food every once in a while."

That's true. I love eating good food. I love my mom's cooking. I love spending time with her. I love my life. I love everything about it. That was until I found out I was chosen as one of the 100 teenagers chosen to return to earth. Now I don't feel like celebrating anymore.

We sit around the table and start eating breakfast. I finish off the last bite of cereal. Then, I wipe my mouth with a paper napkin. When I put the napkin down I realize something weird, the milk tastes weird. "Mom...do we have any milk left from the handout station?"

My mom nods her head. "Why do you ask?" She puts her plate on the counter next to me before walking over to the refrigerator. "Is there something wrong with the milk you gave us yesterday?" she asks me.

"No, no...it's fine. Nothing's wrong." My hands fidget with each other nervously.

She walks out of the fridge, holding a carton of milk. "This is pretty much all we got. There was probably no fresh milk left at the handout station," she explains.

I nod. "I guess so..." I say as quietly as possible. "So...we should refill the tank tomorrow morning."

Mom nods. "Yeah...that sounds okay." She places the gallon of milk back in the refrigerator. She turns and faces me. "So, what's your favorite song on the playlist today?"

I smile. " 'When the Saints Go Marching In.'"

Mom grins. "That's right, we need to pick a Christmas carol soon." Her eyes sparkle with excitement. "And it'll be our first Christmas together since we came up here." She leans forward and hugs me tight.

"I know!" I exclaim. I feel happy and calm. I cherish the moment with my mom, I know this is going to be the last time I feel this way for a long time when I and 100 other teens leave the space station and return to earth.