Chapter 52

Day: 1247

Days Left: 4233

Lives Saved: 6

In those fifteen minutes, Lili did not discover the universal most difficult answer in the universe about purpose and life; unfortunately, instead, she concluded that, at the very least, she needed to devise a contingency plan if Princess Alfreda did not take her back.

But even that wasn't easy. Lili used that time up for fretting about the possibility of it becoming true like Ivette continued to stress.

If, and I mean if Princess Alfreda had truly discarded me, what should I do?

Should I defect to Queen Corinna?

Or should I stay down here in the Eternal Abyss?

What's down here for me?

But what's up there?

My family, I suppose, is up there...

Would my father welcome me after I betrayed the crown?

Do I want to see him again?

And the rest of my family...

Just aunts, uncles, cousins that I rarely spoke to...

Any friends?

No...

Lili paused.

Calanthe and Oscar could potentially leave too.

That would be something, at least.

Would they want to... hang out with me even when we aren't working together anymore?

I suppose I could try and make some friends...

...

..

.

"Lili?"

Lili snapped back into reality, realising she was now at the front of the food queue. "Sorry," she mumbled, cursing herself for being distracted.

Oscar hesitated, then asked, "are you okay?"

"Yes," Lili said flatly.

"Okay..." Oscar motioned to the two bowls in Lili's hands. "Two portions?" He prepared a scoop in his spoon, ready to serve.

Lili looked down at the two bowls. By habit, she had picked up two, one for herself and one for... Princess Alfreda.

But she was fired; she no longer had to do this, right?

But what if this was a test, a punishment; then she should take over the princess' food, right?

Lili placed one of the bowls on the table for someone else to use. "Just one portion."

Oscar smiled softly as he served Lili her dinner. "Calanthe and I wanted to talk to you about... about what we're all going to do."

"I don't know yet what I'm going to do," said Lili.

"Me too," said Oscar, sighing and glancing at the Raining Marshes. "Not until Sumit is back to being human."

"Understandable. And Calanthe?"

"She wants to go but is hesitant to leave alone."

"That is... also understandable."

Oscar paused. "Would you like to eat with us?"