Chapter 28

Grayson's POV

"Our troops are spread evenly throughout the pack's borders, while gammas and those from Crystal Moon are on standby at nearby camps scattered across our territory. Sandra found out through her sources that something big is happening amongst the rogues, so our suspicions of the numbers being a date were correct," father says over the phone pressed close to my ear.

Despite the layers of warm clothing a chill still runs down my spine, as my fears are confirmed. While I'm glad that my theory paid off in helping us prepare accordingly, I'm not exactly happy that my home is going to be under attack soon. It's frustrating that I'm stuck here and not there protecting our pack on the front lines with my abilities, but I agreed to this plan. So, all I can do is wait.

"What did you tell our people to keep them out of harm's way?" I ask.

"I was going to issue an early curfew for the next few days, saying that some suspicious characters were spotted nearby, and it was too dangerous to roam around at night."

"I'm sure they would be thrilled to hear that on New Year's Eve," I mutter, rolling my eyes. Not only would that piss people off, but it would also draw suspicions as to why the whole pack is on lockdown over a couple of "suspicious people".

"They would have had to follow orders no matter what. Between losing countless pack members and having them be a little upset, I know which one I would choose. However your confidante, Jaden, suggested an alternative option," he says.

Thank goddess for Jaden. "Which is?"

"To host a two-day event at the pack house where everyone could celebrate together. She brought up the point that most families would be lonely with some of their pups gone on the ski trip. So, being surrounded by other supportive members could distract them, while also keeping them in one easy to guard place."

"Will there be enough rooms for everyone to have a place to sleep? Our pack has grown a lot since the last time they all stayed there." While some packs have also grown to being town sized like ours, most are still small enough to have all their members stay in the pack house area. Despite being enormous, our pack house hasn't housed all of its members since my great-great-grandfather ruled.

"With all the high schoolers gone, and our soldiers spread out, there should be enough space. Not to mention some might sleep outside in wolf form. The omegas have been working on catering, while some betas work on events to keep the pack busy. Overall, everyone should be none the wiser and just think that this is another day off for the holidays," he says.

"Sounds like a plan. I'll keep making sure that things go smoothly over here," I say with a nod. I'll have to thank Jaden later for talking my father into a better option. Or not, her ego is already big enough.

The call ends quickly after that, and I can't help but sigh as I shove my phone into my pocket. The next forty-eight hours are not going to be fun, but we have an army and a plan. So, this should go smoothly, and I can return home to these rogue assholes locked up in the dungeon. I spot Malachite walking through town and jog over to catch up to him. Might as well give him the run down on how things are going back at home.

"Hey man, mind if I walk with you?"

"Not at all! I'm just doing a quick check through town to see how the set up for the New Year is going," he says with his constantly warm smile on.

As we walk, I catch him up on the plan in action back home. He agrees that the two-day event was a better idea and could also bring the pack closer together as a community, which is something I didn't even consider. I guess it's common for Crystal Moon to have many community events that bring everyone together. Maybe if this goes well, we should host more events like this.