CHAPTER 92

Valerie's POV 

Realizing that I left my phone in Ryan's car is one great mistake I have made today. If only I wasn't so bent on questioning Ryan after making the call to Mom, maybe I wouldn't have kept it in the car.

The more I think about what would happen to my phone, the more I want to start all over again with my questions of why he didn't tell me we were being followed but I see no good in doing that.

The deed is done already. I just hope those idiots won't get their hands on it.

Ryan on the other hand was prepared for this rush. I never had a reason to use the back door of my parent's room but I discovered it when I was little. I have no idea why that door is there and why it leads to a bushy area like this.

It took almost an hour before we could get to the main road and get a cab. I don't know the address Ryan is giving the cab man but I hop in with him nevertheless.

I sit comfortably, letting my weak limbs get relaxed from today's stress. I haven't had any rest since I left home this morning. I was bored at home so I had to start checking out job vacancies for my course of study.

I applied for two and I was invited for an interview today. I don't know if I did well or not but I hope to get the job. 

I don't know if the mansion will remain the same now that those thugs are in there. Mom and I as well as Dad can't go to the house at the moment.

After making sure that the police friend had asked some of his men to guard my Dad at the hospital, I made sure Ryan did the same for his mother. 

At first, he was nonchalant about it and I wonder if something is guarding her there. It looks like it.

"Aren't you going to ask me where we are going?" His breath fans my ears, making me open my eyes to see his face a few inches away from mine. 

He is fully clothed now.

"No", I replied indifferently. 

Actually, I am not curious about where we are going, but I am supposed to be curious, right?

"Wow! This is so unlike my wife. The Valerie I know would have bombarded me with thousands of questions about where I am taking her to or still arguing with me about not telling her…"

"I don't hold grudges, Ryan", I cut him short, opening my eyes again with my arms folded around my bosom.

"Not anymore", he grins, making me wonder what he finds funny in this situation. 

We just narrowly escaped death and I am scared shit for our parents. I ignore him. I don't have time to bicker words with him when I have other things to be worried about.

He sighs deeply and silence ensues. 

Suddenly, the cab driver turns on the FM, and loud music blasted from his board.

I open my eyes and groan in irritation. He is interrupting my meditation but I can't complain. Ryan notices my discomfort and then tells him to reduce the volume of the FM which he does with an apology.

I spare him a glance and catch him staring. Quickly, I avert my gaze away from him and he chuckles.

"I am more worried than you are, Val. I'm just trying to hide it. I wonder what more harm this man would do", he utters firmly, adjusting the big shirt he has on. It belongs to my Dad and I was trying so hard earlier not to laugh at how he looked.

Despite the situation, now it seems impossible not to laugh.

"I still can't wrap my head around everything happening. Everything is happening so fast that it feels like I am dreaming or something."