54

Author's Note:

Apologies for the delay. There was a power shortage in our area but I'm here now ಥ‿ಥ

Do take the time in reading this chapter and enjoy!

⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆

"I don't know what's wrong with you but spending your first night in a hospital after coming back home sounds pretty psychotic to me." Chaeryeong walked in with a tray of coffee in her hand, staring at Ryujin suspiciously. "You really stayed here?"

Ryujin gave her a shrug, toying with Yeji's hand. "It's fine. I'm not yet tired."

"Saint, you look like a decaying corpse," Chaeryeong said, handing her a cup before taking a look at her sister. "How is she?"

"She woke up a while ago," Ryujin said, holding back a yawn when she earned a surprised look from her best friend. She lifted her arm instead and checked the time in her wristwatch, mentally doing the math. It was already nine in the morning. "About four, I think?"

Chaeryeong looked incredulously at her. "Did you seriously not sleep?"

"I saw Karina in my dreams when I tried. I'd rather keep my eyes open," she said dismissively, taking a sip from her drink. "You ditched work?"

"I told them it's an emergency. I was actually supposed to fly out later in the afternoon to Japan." Chaeryeong sighed, pressing the back of her hand against Yeji's forehead as if checking her temperature. "You might want to go home and rest for a while. Freshen up a bit. The hospital itself is sickening enough."

Ryujin shook her head, keeping her gaze on the sleeping architect. "Amy and Peter are coming soon. They'll bring my essentials."

"Hey, I truly appreciate that you're dedicated to look after her but you need to take care of yourself too."

"It's okay, Ryeong," Ryujin said gently, tightening her hold on Yeji's motionless hand, suddenly feeling as if she would be taken away from her. "I choose to be here."

"She's going to be fine," Chaeryeong said gently, giving her a reassuring smile. "You don't have to worry too much anymore. Go home and I'll call you if something happens. You'll be the first one to know if she wakes up again."

Ryujin knew that Chaeryeong only meant well but a part of her just didn't want to be separated from Yeji. Not now more than ever. Her nightmares still haunted her, looming over her shoulder like a dark cloud that was simply impossible to ignore. She didn't want any phone calls and text messages regarding Yeji's condition as it scared her that she didn't know what they contained. She just wanted to be beside Yeji every second until she was completely okay.

"I can't risk it," she said, looking up at Chaeryeong almost desperately. "I'll feel better if I'm here. Please let me stay, Ryeong."

Chaeryeong's eyebrows flew up, evidently surprised by the sincerity of her solicitation. She ended up clearing her throat and avoiding her gaze, awkwardly shifting on her foot.

"Take a nap if you have to," Chaeryeong said, scratching the back of her head. "I'll watch over her."

"Thank you."

Ryujin, however, still remained awake for the following hours. The coffee that Chaeryeong brought was enough to keep her up although she began feeling like she was levitating for the most part. As soon as Amy came with her things, she immediately washed up and changed her clothes as fast as she could, eager to come back to Yeji's side. Moments later, the doctor came in and informed them that the architect could already be discharged before nightfall. The news brought an elating feeling for Ryujin. Although her expression was limited due to drowsiness, she was delighted that they would be finally leaving the tormenting four walls of the hospital room. Staring at the cat-eyed woman on the bed with sensors connected to her body and listening to the incessant beeping of the monitors wasn't exactly her favorite pastime.