Chapter Fifty-Five: The Final Goodbye

"We were able to repair the damage sustained by the gun shot wound. The Injuries to his head though, I'm sorry there was nothing we could do." Doctor Montgomery says. Shawn stares at him like he has three heads, not really processing anything. Montgomery peers at him over his wire rimmed glasses "Shawn are you alright?" He asks with concern. Shawn blink at him, shakes his head, and gives him a grim smile.

"I think I am doing as well as someone in this situation can be," He says honestly. " her though," He turns to look at the huddled figure that was slumped in the waiting room chair, "I'm worried about her. Tell me Doc, Is he going to make it?" He says turning back to look at the doctor, someone who had become a regular sight in their lives. Montgomery looks at him with a grave face.

" I wish I had better answer for you. I'm not going to lie and I'm not going to give you Hope where there is none, You're friend, Twinkie, He is brain dead. The injuries he sustained from hitting his head was too severe. We have him on Oxygen and it is pumping his lungs for him, and keeping his heart beating, without it he will not live. I'm very sorry." He says, regret tinging his words. Shawn's face pales as the life he has always known is ripped out from under him, He staggers and is grateful for the help desk as he grabs onto it for support. Twinkie? Brain dead? He looks over to Katie still huddled in her chair and sees Han trying to coax her out of her mood with no success. How was he going to tell her?

I hate Hospitals, nothing ever good happens in them Katie thinks as she sits in the uncomfortable chair and stares at a random spot on the floor, vaguely hearing Han trying to get her to look at him. But she doesn't move, she feels like if she moves she will shatter to a million pieces. Image after Image of Twinkie laughing and smiling flash through her mind like a tape on repeat. Memories of them sitting on the couch on the landing watching Horror movies, throwing popcorn at each other before snuggling up and crashing. The night that She had a horrible nightmare and snuck to his Tube bunk and slept curled up in his arms. The day when he took her to the Air base and showed her the view from the highest building. Thinking about Twinkie on the Air force base makes the nightmare rear its ugly head, Twinkie's eyes rolling to the back of his head, the blood pouring out of his chest, the sound of his head cracking against the pavement. It wasn't until she feels Han's arms around her and hearing his voice trying to sooth her that she realizes she was sobbing loudly and heavily. She was crying so hard she doesn't hear Shawn coming over to them.

"Han can I talk to you for a minute." She hears making her lift her head and look up at her brother. The look on his face makes the last of her strength shatter and she starts shaking violently.

"Shawn what's wrong with Twinkie?" She says standing up sharply, Han yelping as she tears out of his arms. " Shawn you tell me RIGHT NOW!" She shouts. Shawn flinches but looks at her sighing.

"Katie, he's... he's brain dead." he whispers, tears flowing down his face. Her world freezes and her sorrow deeps as she staggers back into Han's arms, Momentarily in shock. Han and Shawn talk back and forth rapidly as Shawn gives him the news that Montgomery gave him. Words like Life support, brain dead, heart stopping, pulling the plug filter to her brain. "He's in room A15." She hears Shawn whisper.

"no no no no NO!" She screams and with a sudden burst of energy she once again rips out of Han's arms and tears down the hall in the direction of Twinkie's room. She hears the boys shouting after her and chasing her but she doesn't stop. She needs to see Twinkie, needs to prove them wrong. Room A15 looms ahead of her and she comes to a shaky stop in front of it, without hesitation she yanks open the door and bolts into the room coming to a full stop at the sight in front of her. Twinkie was laying in a bed with all sorts of strange machines surrounding him, His heart monitor making a slow beeping noise. There was a breathing tube down his throat and the machine that was pumping his lungs for him and forcing him to breath is making a slow and loud whooshing noise as it makes him breath out, a sucking noise as it makes him breath in. He was laying unnaturally still in the bed, his normally dark skin looking sickly and pale under the harsh lighting, his shirt was off revealing a heavily bandaged chest where the wound was, his normally ever present doo rag was gone, a bandage wrapped around his head from the doctors trying to fix the crack to his skull. Her knees suddenly give out and she sinks to the floor, to numb and stunned to do anything but silently cry as she stares at one of the most liveliest people she knows laying broken in a bed. It was at that moment that the boys finally come tearing into the room.