xxv. the sister

While the rest of the pogues regrouped at The Wreck to go over their next course of action, Slater headed home. Almost getting shot by a crackhead with a sawed off shotgun, and witnessing JJ commit a felony in retaliation, was more than enough excitement for one day. The novelty of finding the gold had even almost worn off -- almost.

The feeling of finding four hundred million dollars worth of lost, historic gold didn't really wear off. Ever.

She briefly said hi to her parents, who, because it was Saturday, were home, before trudging upstairs to go shower. Maeve was sitting on Slater's bed by the time she was done.

"So you're friends with Sarah Cameron now?" Maeve asked as Slater walked into the room.

"I am," Slater replied, pulling her hair out of its towel. "She's dating John B."

"Aha," Maeve said, smirking. "I knew it. I knew you weren't all of a sudden magically friends with Sarah Cameron. Dad's happy as a clam, thinking his plan worked to get you guys to be friends."

"Dad had a plan to get me to be friends with Sarah?" Slater scoffed.

Maeve shrugged. "Not a plan exactly, but he seems to want all of us to be friends with the Camerons, so ..."

"I don't see what's so great about the Camerons," Slater said, flopping onto the bed next to her sister.

She was still on edge after the whole thing with Barry, and she wanted nothing more than to scream into her pillow until she went unconscious. Maeve, however, was chattering on and on about her latest surfing adventures.

"Maeve, I'm sorry, can you just ..." Slater trailed off and pointed towards the door.

Maeve frowned and crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm sorry, I just wanted to talk to my sister. You know, my supposed best friend? That I barely see anymore?"

Slater's heart sank, and she sighed. "I'm sorry, Maeve. I just need some time alone. It's been a long day, and I --"

"A long day?" Maeve repeated. "It's only two p.m. and you were just out hanging with those pogues. Don't you guys just sit around and smoke weed and stuff?"

"No, that's not what we do," Slater huffed into her pillow.

"Okay, so what do you do that is so much more fun and important than ever spending time with your little sister? I mean, you get me to cover for you so you can go hang with them, and what do I get in return? An absent sister who doesn't have any time for me?"

"Maeve, please," Slater sighed, sitting up as tears filled her eyes.

"I mean, I get it, Slater. I'm happy that you finally have friends. I just wish you would be honest with me and tell me what's going on. You're out all hours of the night, when Mom and Dad think you're asleep. JJ sneaks in your window. You say you're with Sarah Cameron and her kook friends, but I doubt you could even name one of them."

Slater's heart sank. "I'm just having fun, okay?" She wanted to tell Maeve the truth. She wanted to tell her about the Royal Merchant and the gold and Denmark Tanny. But she couldn't. Since joining the treasure hunt, Slater had already found herself in a bunch of dangerous situations. Hell, Big John might have gone missing because of it. She couldn't tell Maeve. She couldn't risk it. It was dangerous to anyone involved.