missing

missing: missing for eight months. y/n summer routledge was the highlight of jj's life, but he never got to tell her that before she disappeared out of thin air. the pogues are doing their best to move on but the shaggy-haired blonde can't get her out of his mind.
———

JJ's pov

"We can go on the boat, go surfing..." John B trailed off, "We could go grab food at The Wreck.." He continued listing things off but none of them seemed interesting. None of them would fill the void in my chest or the empty seat next to me.

"You're thinking about her again, aren't you?" Pope nudged my shoulder and brought me back to reality. Although his voice was low and he was only speaking to me, everyone looked our direction. I shrugged him off and looked away, not wanting to bring her up.

I didn't want to think about her eyes or her smile. I didn't want to think about the way she would always ruffle my hair as a greeting or when our shoulders would graze each others as we sat in this exact spot.

"Who's 'her'?" Sarah asked. She sat next to John B as he looked down at her, his sorrow filled eyes then looking up to me before clearing his throat. None of us dared to speak, this would be the first time we've talked about her in almost six months.

Her.

Y/n Summer Routledge.

The girl I knew I wanted to marry the moment I pushed her on the swings in the third grade.

"She was John B's twin sister," Kie finally broke the silence, "Went missing around the same time their dad did." That's all she said before stopping. It was a touchy subject and all of us found it difficult to even say her name.

"Was?" Sarah questioned, even more confused now, "You never told me you had a sister." All of us could feel the shift in the atmosphere, the air becoming thick as our memories collided. All the laughs, the late night bon fires and her singing songs so loudly figure-8 could probably hear her sweet voice.

"A month after my dad went missing she did too, just up and gone one night. No signs of breaking and entering, no foul play, nothing. Just...gone." John B's voice was soft and threatening to break. I found myself getting emotional as well so I cleared my throat and adjusted my hat.

"What was she like?" Sarah continued to ask questions in hopes to get to know her. Even though her small frame wasn't occupying the seat next to me it's like I could almost feel her. Everywhere I went, home, the beach, the chateau. She surrounded me. She invaded my every day thoughts.

"She was the glue that held us together." Pope said as he looked down at the wooden porch, "She was always cracking jokes in serious situations."

"She was kind, unless you messed with one of us, then she was a force to be reckoned with," Kie said and we all let out small laughs, probably remembering the fights Y/n had got in defending our names, "Her and John B were inseparable..."

"She was the best sister anyone could ever ask for," John B looked to the water, "Anything I needed, whether it be a pep talk or someone to cry with, laugh with. Day or night, I could go to her. I think JJ knew her the best though."

My name caught my attention, "Yeah, she was...she is something that's for sure," I grinned, "She's the type of girl you meet once then spend the rest of your life thinking about—" My voice cracked and that's when I decided I couldn't do it. I couldn't talk about her as if she was gone, "Now we're all just waiting for her to show up one day and tell us all about her crazy adventure."