CHAPTER 96

Valerie's POV 

Moodiness and lack of appetite are now Ryan's favorite pastime. 

He barely spoke a word to me last night after we left the police station without seeing the Commissioner who had already left before we got there.

We couldn't see the suspects either and we had to sleep in a hotel nearby.

I was able to catch some sleep but Ryan could barely sleep a wink. I feel his pain and I hope he gets over this soonest.

He almost left me still sleeping in our hotel room this morning so he could come to the police station without me. The running sound of the shower woke me up and I jumped down from the bed.

I ended up not taking a shower because he was in a rush to come here.

Now that we are here, we are still yet to see Mr. Lewis and I wonder what exactly is going on. I had to excuse myself to come to get us some coffee as breakfast before he comes.

As soon as I pay the cafe man, I hold the two cups of coffee in my hand and turn round to take the door out when I bump into a hard wall, making me jerk back and grip the cups harder so they won't spill.

Shit! I mutter under my breath as I lift my head to curse at the man but the sight before me makes my jaws drop open.

"Valerie?" Fred's smiling face appears as he calls out my name loudly as though we are still friends.

"Fred", I only say his name out of surprise. He is the least person I expect to see here and I am not really pleased to see him. "What are you doing here?"

"I should be asking you that", he is beaming brightly in his colorful office wear.

Does he work here now? I realize I must be keeping Ryan waiting so I take a step forward to go out.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" he blocks my way again, grinning like an idiot, reminding me of how much of a fool he is.

What do you think I am here for? I'm here with my husband, of course, I retort sharply in my head as I raise the cups of coffee high and move past him.

"Hey", he comes to my front to block me from going again but I keep moving. "Did she call you too?"

I stop dead in my tracks before twirling around to face him. "Who?" I squint my brows in curiosity.

"Oh, you aren't here for her? I thought you were. I was wondering why she had to call me to come all the way here if you were here for her. Never mind." he waves me away with his hand and I throw him a cold glare for not satisfying my curiosity.

"Who the hell are you talking about?!" I almost yell at him in frustration. If he is talking about someone we both know then it has to be someone important to me but I can't think of one single person who knows me and Fred together or would call Fred here instead of me.

"Brenda, of course. Your friend. She is in the police station and she called me all the way here to come to bill her out. I thought you were also here for her. If you aren't, then why are you here?" he stands with a frustrated look on his face and arms akimbo.

My jaws drop open.

Brenda?

That's right. I should have known right away that it was her. She is the only one who knows me with Fred. She would never call me because she still feels guilty for what she did to me with Fred.

Crazy bitch.

I glare at him harshly before turning back on my heels to go my way. I don't fucking care why she is here and whether she gets out or not.