Chapter 23

America's Point of View

"You needed to see me, America?" Lady Elisa stood at the doorway with booth of her hands together in front of her, almost nervously.

I smiled at the sound of my name. It was nice to have somebody talk to me casually again, but unfortunately, I had to bear bad news. "Yes, Elisa, why don't you sit down?"

"Is something wrong?" She asked, almost in a panic.

"Not exactly," I said, iffy. "It's about Wednesday's event."

"What is it?" She inquired as she sat down in one of the seats in front of me. Her long brown hair was draped across one shoulder. I couldn't help but picture a crown in her hair.

"Your family's funeral never took place. I arranged everything how you wanted it before you left. It's set on Wednesday, everyone is coming as far as I know, and you're going to give a eulogy."

"Me?" She squeaked. I couldn't imagine what she was thinking right now.

"Yes. I didn't know who else to turn to," I smiled weakly. "Since Penelope and Harrison were alive, we removed their caskets."

"Your majesty, Penelope is deceased-" she said with a wavering voice.

"I know," I cut her off. I handed her a tissue as I saw a tear fall. "Which is why we are placing a memorial for her in the gardens."

"What?" She asked in disbelief.

"Your sister was collateral damage to something not directly involving her. It's the least we could do for her. It's already built, and on Wednesday, we're going to reveal it to the public."

"Are you serious?" She gasped. Tears were rolling down her cheeks.

"Of course!" I exclaimed. I got up and out a hand on her shoulder. "Elisa, I need you to know, that you can always come to me for advice or help. Wether it's about family, the selection-anything, come to me. I've had my share of this."

"Thank you, America," she said gratefully.

"Anytime," I smiled. "You've shown remarkable progress in the selection education course. You really already know everything except for the Queen's responsibilities, which will be learned when a princess is chosen. If the selection doesn't work out, and I doubt it won't, I want you to be my personal lady-in-waiting."

"Why me?" She asked. "There are so many other people who could do so much better with this kind of thing."

"I see myself in you," I replied simply. "You're not as wild, but just as spirited. I want you to always have a home in the palace, along with your younger brother."

"America," she stammered. "I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything. It's late; why don't you go to your room?" I suggested. She smiled weakly and nodded. She left the room, leaving me to my work.

I was working on the last few details of merging castes. I was dissolving the sixth caste, moving them up into fives, and a few fives into fours. This would raise the minimum income for the poorer families.

"America," a voice bursted through the door. Aspen Leger was standing at the door, slightly out of breath and without a cane. He must have been feeling better today.

"Did you need something, Aspen? I'm busy, as you can see," I said, gesturing to my cluttered workspace.

"I think you may want to come to the infirmary. No, you definitely want to come to the nursery," he said, correcting his last statement.

I rose from my seat and followed him to the infirmary. I picked up my skirts and walked at Aspen's pace. We raced into a room where medical equipment was held. Waiting for me were a few doctors, my husband, and a young man with a familiar face, Nathan Ray.

"Why am I here? I asked, slightly out of breath.

"We were running tests to see if the young man had any diseases before issuing punishment," said doctor James.

"And you interrupted me to tell me that?" I asked irritatedly.

"Not exactly," he began. "The data we collected showed similar DNA to yours, and we have reason to believe the boy is related to you."

"I only have three children," I said directly. I was unsure if they were accusing me of adultery, but apparently not since it brought a smile out of doctor James.

"We waited until you were here to ask questions," Maxon said, cutting me off politely. "Now, Mr. Ray, if you answer honestly, there will be no reason to issue any harm or punishment."

"Sounds fine with me," he said boredly.

Maxon let out a sigh, and I could tell his nonchalant answer annoyed him. "What caste are you?"

"I never had a caste. I was born into that facility. The only source of caste I knew about was from my mother when she told me she was a five, but she's dead now," he replied with a straight face.

"Who are your parents?" Maxon asked.

"May Ray and Ferradas Ray," he answered.

"What was your mother's maiden name?" I asked hastily.

"May Singer. I don't see how that's importa-"

"Are you lying?" I asked him directly. "Tell me if you're lying!"

"Why would I be lying?" He asked confusedly. I studied him carefully. He didn't look like my little sister, May, but it made sense. She ran away a few years after I became Queen, claiming she found love. I hadn't heard from her since.

Nathan's facial structure was slightly similar to hers. He had her nose, definitely, assuming he was her son. His hands had long and slender fingers, just like she did. They were perfect for holding a paintbrush.

"Can you describe her? Do you remember what she looks like?"

He nodded his head, and I could tell he was searching the back of his mind for the perfect picture. "She had shorter auburn hair and blue eyes. She wasn't that tall, but she had a small frame. She taught me a lot about the arts, like drawing, sculpting, painting, music, that sort of thing."

"I want another test done," I told doctors James. He looked at me and nodded. "Now!" I snapped, growing impatient.

Maxon, Aspen, and I went out into the hallway. "Do you think he's lying?" Aspen asked while crossing his arms over his chest. He leaned on a nearby doorframe, favoring his uninjured knee.

"I don't see why he would," Maxon reasoned. He had wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me closer. "What do you think?"

"I think he's telling the truth," I said confidently. "He has similar features, and his description was just like May."

We waited anxiously for about an hour. Maxon tried to comfort me and prepared me for the results, even if they weren't positive. Aspen went home, claiming he was tired and needed to see Lucy.

We said goodbye for the night, and after that, we were called back into the small room. I sat down next to Maoxn and across from Nathan. Doctor James came in, scribbling furiously on his clipboard.

"It's confirmed," he stated. "This boy is your nephew."

Well, wasn't that fun? I'm trying to finish this book, but don't worry- we have long ways to go before the epilogue. I put a MAJOR plot twist later on, so I bet you guys can't wait for that. Even bigger than the one you just read!

So yeah.... How do y'all feel about the whole cousins thing? It kinda ruined my spin off dreams, especially since I was going to put Nathan and Marlee together...... Eventually.

Be sure to comment and vote if you liked it!