XIII ~ He Was A Summer Day

{Accidentally In Love - Counting Crows}

...Well, I didn't mean to do it, but there's no escaping your love, these lines of lightning, mean we're never alone...

----

June 15th

     I'd be lying if I told you that love always works out in your favour. It doesn't. Even the love that does work out constantly has to dodge bullet after bullet to survive. Not only that, but to thrive and bloom into something beautiful, despite adversity. It's like seeing the leaves on the trees in summer as they blow in the breeze. They cling to the three to survive and thrive before they inevitably fall. We all fall sometimes. Falling for Elliot was easy. It was wondering if I would land on solid ground or crash and burn in the end.

     Days passed on Eagle's Peak mostly under my parents' watchful eyes as they loomed over me, examining my every move. I dreamt in the brief moments of solitary bliss, mostly at night in my tent, of a life where I had the power to make my own decisions. Every big decision that filled me full of 'what-ifs' was mine to make, and every little choice that made up the minutes of every day was what my empty hands grasped for in my sleep. I yearned to rip myself out of the restrained body in which I was trapped and fly like a bird away from it all, free to roam and free to fall, bracing the wind as it would blow through my wings.

        In those moments, I remembered smiles of faces etched in my mind like tattoos. I thought of a boy who would kiss me with a hello and leave me wanting more with every temporary goodbye. We sneaked around Eagle Peak to be together, where our lives were both literally and metaphorically up in the air. We both knew we would have to come back down.

----

     "Did you pack everything right?" Mom whined to Dad who was struggling to seal his rucksack as he muttered and cussed about the fact, making his excuses as to why his rucksack dilemma was holding up the entire family from returning to the cabin.

  "Of course, I did! What do you take me for?"

      He circled the rucksack before attempting to close his rucksack over once again while the rest of the family stared on. Bodhi sat on a boulder, pinching the bridge of his nose in annoyance at them both.

  "Can we please go?" His voice never hid any of his disdain for his family at that moment, and I nodded in agreement with Bodhi's wish to return to the club.

      I had barely been able to have a conversation with my brother since I overheard Mom and Dad. His eyes were ringed with dark circles, making him resemble a real-life Tim Burton character.

     Out of the corner of my eye, Elliot's broad frame stood among the trees. He silently signalled for me to make my excuses to my family and meet him. My pulse soared, and I did so, saying goodbye to my demented family, promising to return for dinner as I lifted my rucksack to take my leave.

      They barely nodded in my direction, bickering to themselves as Mom fussed over the bags, and Dad complained about the hike they were about to take back downhill. I slipped into the cover of the trees before they could notice Elliot, the butterflies in my stomach more prominent than ever.

    "Hey stranger," He emerged from behind a tree, his smirk showing hints of the smile that made me melt.

    "Hey! You know, It's only been like 24 hours since we last saw each other," He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close against him.