Fat Girl Problem 11: Shopping

"Quinn! Connor's here!" 

     My eyes widened in surprise. Connor's here? At my home? What the heck!? 

     "He's waiting!" my dad yelled again.

     "I'm coming!" I called back.

     Suddenly my heartbeat quickened to a terrifying pace. Dad was the impatient type, so that meant I couldn't change. That also meant I'd have to go downstairs, looking the way I did. I shuddered. I was wearing sweatpants and a huge baggy top. I honestly looked like I was on the verge of obesity.

     "Quinn!"

     I groaned. My dad's impatient persona drove me insane sometimes. It wouldn't kill Connor to wait five minutes, yet my dad was acting like the world was ending. Jesus.

    Nervously, I made my way downstairs. Thankfully my dad invited Connor in and they were both sitting on the couch silently. Connor looked surprisingly innocent for a guy who recently caused another guy to bleed. I found that amusing. Biting my cheek, I fought back a laugh.

     "Bye cutie," my dad said, winking at Connor.

     I made a gagging sound. "Ew dad!"

     My dad laughed as he walked away. Connor smiled and I found my heart warming up. Such a beautiful sight as usual.

     "So, what's up?" I asked awkwardly.

     Complicated, would be the perfected way to describe whatever we were. Sometimes I felt comfortable around him, and other times I felt like I'd suffocate from the fear I felt. Right now I was leaning to the comfortable side because his eyes lacked any fury.

     "I was thinking," he replied. "I know you won't gain self-confidence without any change, you're too much of an insecure person to do that so let's go shopping."

     I tried to hide my surprise. He was spot on about me, which was surprising. Connor barely knew me.

     "Why don't we go to the gym instead?" I asked curiously.

     "Cause." His eyes drifted to my body, giving it a good appropriate scan. "I like the way you are."

    Blush filled my cheeks completely and I silently slapped myself. My heart was fluttering and all because of a simple statement. I like the way you are. No one had ever said that before to me. Maybe that was why I felt so touched.

     "Okay," I forced out.

     He instantly got up. "Let's go."

     "Wait," I said. "I need to ask my dad for money."

     "It's on me."

     Without another word he left, leaving me shocked. He would pay for a new wardrobe for me? Why was he going to this extent? I was just a fat girl.

     My eyes nervously glanced at the many stores around me. I realized I hadn't thought this through. Shopping was one of my weaknesses, something I hated to do. Don't get me wrong, I loved buying stuff like every other human out there, but as a fat girl, finding clothes was a mission. Finding clothes that actually looked good on me was mission impossible.

     Sighing, I followed Connor to Forever 21. This store had clothes for big girls like me, but I wasn't any less nervous. I always felt insecure trying on clothes because they usually didn't look great on me. Nothing fit right unless it was extremely baggy. Connor insisted on judging the outfits we'd find, so I was left feeling more uneasy about him seeing me. I had to suck it up though.