Chapter 24

I woke up the next morning with a smile on my face. After last night's talk with America, I felt like I was on top of the world. I had a place to stay my whole life, and I would never have to be reminded of my sorrows in Hampton. Angeles was my home.

I had grown accustomed to the lovely Angeles weather in the summertime. It was hot, but not sweltering. I enjoyed it, and so did Marlee. We were sitting outside by the beautiful bed of red roses. I tried to enjoy it as much as I could since tomorrow would be a day of mourning.

My shorter dress allowed my legs to soak up the sun's warmth. My sandals lay on the grass beside me with Marlee's shoes. She looked up to the sky with outspread arms, and I mimicked her.

"So, she really said that?" Marlee asked in surprise when I told her about America's offer.

"Yeah," I said, equally surprised. "I'm glad to know that the palace will be my home. Selection or not, I'm staying in Angeles with my brother."

"I thought he died?" She asked with a gasp.

"No, his twin sister did. They both made it out of the fire, but they killed Penelope. Harrison escaped with us," I explained.

We lied there for a long time together. I was sling the grass on my arms, admiring the lushness and vividness in color. Suddenly, darkness covered my eyes. I opened them up to see Olivia looming over us. She smiled giddily and got down beside us.

"Hey guys," she said with a bright smile.

"What's got you so happy?" Marlee asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I found out his name," she sang.

I rolled over and propped myself up on my elbows. "What is it?" I asked excitedly.

"Harrison," she chirped. "He didn't even know who I was, though!"

"Wait," I laughed. "You're Amberly?" I asked, suppressing a chuckle rising in my throat.

"How do you know about that?" She asked in a serious tone. Her eyes had widened and her facial expression darkened.

Marlee furrowed her eyebrows and scrunched her nose up. She looked at me with a puzzled look. "Isn't Harrison your brother's name?"

"Harrison is your brother?" Olivia squealed.

"Yeah," I grinned. "Oh my god, this is great! Are you going to tell him you're the princess?"

"Ignorance is bliss, ladies," she said, shutting her eyes again. Marlee and I shook our heads as we laughed. We all laid back on the grass.

Footsteps approached from behind a hedge. I looked to see Aaron turning the corner. I immediately popped up, sitting on my knees with my back tall. "Aaron?" I asked quizzically.

"Elly?"

"Who's Elly?" Olivia asked.

"You nicknamed her?" Marlee asked, astonished.

"That's not important right now," Aaron said, changing the subject. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but Mom needs us. She said she had something important to tell us."

They got off of the ground and said goodbye. I watched as they disappeared behind the hedges. I slipped my sandals back on my feet and went to the Women's room where a few girls sat in the main sitting area.

Danielle was painting her fingernails and Opal was talking to Pepper. I didn't see any sign of Kiara, nor Leila. I simply shrugged my shoulders and sat down in the chair symmetric to Danielle's, picking up a few issues of Illèa Weekly to catch up on what I missed.

Nothing happened as far as I could tell, but Kiara and Leila entered the room, their long skirts fluttering behind them. They took a seat beside me, and I put the magazines away.

"Hi," I greeted cheerfully.

"Hey, Elisa! I'm sorry we haven't talked much since you got back," Leila apologized.

"Don't worry about it," I shrugged.

"How are you? We heard about tomorrow's.. Event," Kiara said unsurely.

"I'll be fine. Thank you for asking," I replied, fighting back a few years as they rose to my eyes. "I think I'm going to go back to my room. I'll see you guys at dinner, ok?"

"Yeah, ok. Bye Elisa," they responded, waving their hands and starting a new conversation.

A few tears escaped my eyes, but I didn't care since nobody would see them. I went to my room and laid out on my bed, my limbs sprawled everywhere. I stuffed my face in a pillow to muffle my crying.

For what seemed like hours, I lied there wallowing in depression and sadness. Even though it had happened months ago, the pain left behind was still a fresh wound. My maids were down in their workshop, working diligently on my dress for the Elite ball. I was glad they weren't here, for I wouldn't want them to see me in this state.

I found the will to clean myself up. I took off all of my makeup, making my face look much less like a panda than it previously did. I changed into a nightgown and let my hair fall since I didn't plan on going to dinner with everyone else.

I came back in my bedroom and bounced back on my bed, sinking in the thick mattress. I buried myself in the pillows and blankets and got comfortable. Then, somebody knocked on the door.

Thinking it was Mary, Diana, or Cecelia, I beckoned them to come in. Aaron appeared from the other side of the door in black sweatpants and a white shirt. His hair was pretty messed up.

"Aaron?" I asked surprised.

"Yeah, you didn't come to dinner, I wanted to check up on you," he explained. He sat down beside me on my bed and laid back. I smiled and kissed him sweetly. "I also have to tell you something."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Well, last night, tests were run, and Nathan is my cousin."

"What are you talking about?" I asked with a furrowed brow.

"His mom was my aunt."

"May Ray was America's sister?" I gasped.

"Wait, you knew?" He asked accusingly.

"I didn't know May was America's sister!" I exclaimed.

"I'm sorry; it's just a lot for me to take in," he sighed. I laid my head on his chest and kissed his cheek.

"It will be ok. I promise."

"I hope so," he murmured while stroking my hair with one hand and holding my hand with the other.

That moment when you're drinking a hot drink and your glasses fog up. :/