Death Mountain

Chapter 11
Death Mountain

Link's first impressions of Death Mountain were of a barren and lifeless wilderness, its scorched slopes of jagged stone far removed from the vibrant hills of Hyrule Field and the leafy bowers of his home. The only vegetation that grew here were small, stunted weeds struggling through cracks in the brown and grey earth. A rugged track cut across the desolate mountainside, marking the way to the Goron village and the realms beyond Hyrule's eastern border.

Ruins dotted the hillside like tombstones. The broken and cracked fragments of a wall suggested there had once been a settlement on the mountainside, but little remained of the village or its occupants. Had it been destroyed in some great disaster? To Link's disappointment, Navi wouldn't give him an answer.

The boy and his fairy walked beyond the shattered stones and up the lifeless hills. Soon, the only signs of anything ever inhabiting the rugged slopes were the scattered bones of goats and other animals.

It really is Death Mountain, Link had thought. It was as if they were wandering the remnants of a world struck down by a terrible curse, its mark forever staining the ravaged realm.

Link's journey had begun early that morning. Leaving Kakariko Village, he and Navi encountered several wagons abandoned at the mountain's foot, their drivers and cargo nowhere to be seen. The guard, clearly wary of the Sheikah, had reluctantly let them pass after recognising Link's ring and hearing Navi's explanation about their mission.

"I'm not getting my nose in any Sheikah's business, but be careful," he warned, his face obscured by his helm. "Death Mountain isn't a place for kids, and the locals aren't in a good mood. The last Goron to come through said the road was closed to all but messengers."

"Our mistress sent us to see Darunia. She won't tolerate any delays, and her reasons are her own," Navi explained.

"If you say so," the guard replied, sounding slightly sceptical. He looked eager to press the issue and find out what they were really doing, but after hearing Link's story of being in the service of a Sheikah family and seeing the ring, he let the matter pass.

And so their arduous trek began. Link felt the bitter wind whip around him, his dark red cloak providing little protection. He clutched Saria's bag, a constant reminder of the home he had left behind. The bag was surprisingly light despite its contents, and like his ocarina, it was a reminder of Saria. Now, more than ever, he felt the ache of her absence. Malon and Talon had tried their best to fill the void, but it remained a constant reminder of what he had lost.

The relentless sun beat down on him as the day dragged on, sucking the moisture from the air and leaving Link parched. He rationed his water carefully, knowing they had a long way to go.

The path seemed endless, winding its way up the mountain in a dizzying zigzag before straightening out and curving around the rocky flank. Reaching the top of a switchback, Link paused, his breath catching in his throat. Below him, the path they had traversed stretched out like a serpent slithering through the barren landscape. Southward, he could see the shimmering green canopy of the Lost Woods, the Zora River like a silver ribbon threading through its heart and as he did, Link was overcome by a pang of melancholy.

He stared back at the distant woods for some time, thinking of Saria and his promise to return. Was she still waiting for him, even after all this time?

"You can go back soon," Navi said, sensing his mood. "We just have to get the Spiritual Stones and give them to Impa and Zelda."

"Do you wonder what Saria and the others are doing now? After what happened..." Link asked quietly, his voice trailing off as his mind wandered towards the painful memory of his departure.