take it out on me

take it out on me: After an argument with John B, JJ snaps at Y/n.
———
this was requested <3
———

JJ's pov

My thumbs twiddled in my lap and I checked the time again.

1:34 pm

Y/n won't be out of work for another few hours, Kie and Sarah are out doing whatever girls do, Pope is helping his dad, and John B is outside working on the boat, I guess something was wrong with it. Deciding I had to do at least one productive thing today I pushed myself off the couch and made my way to the dock.

"Need a hand?" I asked him as I walked, seeing him leaned over working on the motor.

"Yeah, grab me that?" He held his hand out, pointing at the screwdriver in the toolbox. I grabbed it and handed it to him, also leaning over to watch what he was doing, "JJ actually helping? What's got you in such a giving mood?" He joked and I sat in the seat, rolling my eyes.

"Maybe I just wanna help." I argued. He stopped momentarily and gave me a sarcastic 'yeah, okay' and I huffed again, "I'm bored and everyone else is busy." I admitted.

"I figured." He replied and went right back to messing with the motor. His voice was mumbled as he whispered to himself, trying to figure out why the propellers weren't working.

"Here, I think I know what's wrong." I offered and stood up to begin shuffling him out of the way so I could take a look.

"I got it, JJ." John B denied and I shrugged. I only wanted to help and I'm good with small motors so I'm sure I could figure out what was wrong.

"Dude, just let me—"

"I said I got it!" He raised his voice and I held my hands up in defeat, taking small steps away from him, "It's my boat. I can fix it."

"What's up your ass today?" I scoffed. It was odd for John B to snap at me, or any of us, the way he just did. Although he was usually the first to tell me my ideas were horrible he was never one to shy away from help, especially from someone he considered a brother.

"You don't have to walk around pretending to care about shit when you don't, alright?" He scolded. I was completely taken back by his words. Who said I was pretending?, "That shit might work on Y/n but it's not gonna work on me, so go find something else to do. This was my dads boat so it's my problem."

"Are you saying I 'pretend' to care about Y/n? Or you and the pogues? Low blow, man." I snapped, I wasn't going to let him say something like, especially when it wasn't true. I cared about Y/n. I cared about this stupid boat and the rest of our friends.

"All I'm saying is you've only ever cared about what's best for you." He turned away, ignoring my presence and went right back to the boat motor. I pressed my tongue to my cheek and felt a sting in my chest. Not wanting to deal with this any longer I jumped off the boat onto the dock and made my way back inside the chateau.

Y/n's pov

My backpack was tight to my shoulders as I hopped off my bike and leaned it against the porch of the chateau. Instead of going straight home after work I always came here, it was part of my routine. Work, come to the chateau, then go home, sometimes JJ would stay with me and others he would stay at here.

I scanned the dock and saw John B on the boat doing what looked like maintenance but no JJ. Figuring he was inside I opened the door and threw my backpack onto the couch, accidentally throwing it right on top of my boyfriend.

"Sorry." I apologized and grabbed it, throwing it onto the other side of the couch, "You have a good day?" I asked as I made my way into the kitchen to rummage through the cabinets for snacks. I was craving something sweet, candy maybe.

My eyes landed on a fruit roll up and I decided that would sooth my cravings, so I grabbed it and ripped the packaging open. JJ didn't answer, only sat on the couch and stared at the ground, "You're quiet, what's wrong?" JJ never blatantly ignored me so I knew something was up. I grew concerned when he ignored me again so I sat down next to him, "Babe?" My hand rested on the back of his neck as I began playing with his hair and he shrugged me away.

"Don't." He huffed and stood up. I furrowed my brows and swallowed the bite of candy, my eyes trailing along with him as he paced the living room.

"Is this because I didn't answer your texts?" I questioned, "Look, I'm sorry, I had a lot on my plate today. My manager called in sick, I had to train a new—"

"Would you just stop acting like you care!?" He shouted at me and I froze. What the hell was that about?, "Like, seriously, Y/n, if you don't care about me just leave!"

"Who the fuck said I didn't care about you!?" I snapped at him, exaggerating by throwing my hands into the air as I also stood up. He stood in silence for a moment, his jaw clenching and unclenching as he did his best not to look at me. That's when I knew something else had happened, his anger wasn't directed at me. In that moment I felt guilty for snapping at him. If JJ was upset at me he would be looking at me, right into my eyes.

"John B told me I pretend to care about him!" So that's what this is about, "And he said I pretend to care about you and that's not true." I let out a slow breathe and stood in front of him, not touching him since I knew he would shrug me away. Thankfully I've learned a lot about JJ in the years we've known each other. When he's upset he shrugs me away until he realizes I actually care, then all he wants is for me to hold him.

"I know it's not true," I lowered my voice and dropped the fruit roll up I was holding onto the coffee table, "But don't you dare take it out on me when this is between you and John B. I don't deserve that." Even though my voice was quiet, it was stern. I didn't deserve to be yelled at just because him and John B got into a fight.

"I'm sorry," He finally looked into my eyes and I could see the apologetic look they held, "I'm sorry." He repeated, "All I was doing was trying to help him with the damn motor and he snapped. Then he brought you up and I lost it."

"So you yell at me?" I asked. I wasn't particular upset but it did hurt that he snapped at me when I was trying to help, "How is that fair?"

"It's not." JJ's voice softened and he wrapped his arms around me, "I love you, I'm sorry I yelled at you."

"I love you, too, don't you dare ever think differently." I let my head rest onto his chest and I could feel him relax under my touch. I never wanted him to think I didn't love or care about him. "You can make it up to me by playing with my hair and taking a nap with me before I go home."

His chest vibrated a small laugh, "I can do that. C'mere." We made our way to the couch and he laid down, opening his arms for me to join him, "I can rub your back, too." He offered once I laid down and pulled my shirt up a bit. I was laying almost completely on top of him as one of his hands trailed up and down my back and the other ran through my hair.

"Can you do one more thing for me?" I asked. My sleepy voice was already taking over since I was exhausted from work. On top of doing all my managers duties today, I also came in early.

"I can." He said sweetly.

"Can you stay at my house tonight with me? My parents are gone and I hate sleeping there alone." He chuckled at my irrational fear of being home alone and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"Of course, cupcake, take a nap then we'll head to your house." Instead of responding I let myself slip into a peaceful slumber.

_____________

Not sure if this is exactly what you wanted but I tried my best :)

I feel like I always have a ton of drafts to finish so I'll probably work on some of them tonight <3

Also. I write a lot of my imagines as if the chateau didn't burn down (wtaf was that, topper?) I'm in denial that it's gone so I write as if it didn't go up into flames cause I'm so sad about it. The pogues have so many memories there :(