Kanao x Reader

Thanks @PowerKima for the request!
———

She was absolutely beautiful, sweet and quiet.  I wanted nothing more than to spend all my time with her, comfortably stargazing or looking for butterflies together.  These longing emotions I held for her made me yearn to hold her close to me and never let her go.  Perhaps it was time I finally confessed how I felt and took a chance for a future with her. 

I looked at my mirror, running my fingers through my hair and smoothing out my haori.  The dragonfly pin she had gifted me long ago sparkled brightly over my heart.  She had a matching butterfly pin that she wore on her own haori.  It was a sign of our friendship but also so much more.  It was a promise to take care of each other through thick and thin. 

Giving myself a reassuring nod with a sigh, I smiled softly before grabbing the bouquet of flowers waiting by the door.  They were full of purple roses and lavender with a sweet scent that I hoped she'd like.  I fiddled with the ribbon tying the stems together for a moment before working up the courage to set out to find Kanao. 

On my way to the butterfly mansion, I let my mind wander through every possible scenario.  She could turn me down politely or perhaps give me one of her rare smiles.  I've only seen it happen a few times before, the first time being when we met.  It was also the moment when I first fell for her. 

I'd been homeless and looking to become a demonslayer but I'd never had any formal training.  I found myself at the butterfly mansion, desperate for guidance from someone when Kanao had found me.  She was kind that day and didn't speak much but when I ended up crying, she held me close.  It was an awkward hug but she had smiled at me afterwards as if she knew my pain.  I had moved in that same day with Shinobu and the others who lived in the butterfly mansion. 

A warm smile stretched across my face at all the wonderful memories that followed.  We stuck together like glue after that day, bound by some unseen force that had me ready to love Kanao for as long as I lived.  Each step closer to her felt like a step closer to comfort and happiness.  I could only hope she felt the same towards me. 

The training yard came into view as I turned a corner, peeking in to see if she was there at all.  It was empty as far as I could see, a gentle breeze brushing stray leaves across the dirt.  Flowers bloomed nearby, creating a bright ring along the fences.  I was about to move on to search somewhere else when movement caught my attention. 

I watched as Kanao emerged from part of the mansion, stretching her arms above her head before she moved across the yard.  I felt my face warm up immediately at the sight of her calm face and dark hair.  She was so gorgeous, it hurt just to look at her.  My grip on the bouquet tightened as I tried to catch my breath. 

Inhaling deeply, I swung open the gate and walked into the yard.  Kanao's head turned immediately to face me, her eyes wide and bright as usual.  She didn't smile but she waved, her way of showing she was cheerful.  I waved back, so nervous that I almost dropped the bouquet of flowers before I righted myself with a nervous laugh.  She was by my side in an instant, a hand on my shoulder reassuringly.  The contact made me grin, a bit flustered. 

"These are for you.  I had something I wanted to tell you," I whispered shakily, clearing my throat to try to hide my trembling.  Her hands were gentle as she took the flowers from my shaky hands, bringing the bouquet up to her face to smell them.  My mouth parted slightly in awe as she closed her eyes blissfully, a content sigh sliding past her perfect lips.  She gave me a nod to continue, eyes shining in curiosity. 

"I like you Kanao, a lot.  I'm not sure if you understand and I can explain it for you so you know what it is because I don't want to take advantage of you but—."  I was cut off from my nervous rambling as Kanao lifted one of her fingers to my lips, the gesture making me go quiet with my face burning in both embarrassment and bashfulness. 

She stared at me intently, her expression unreadable as she tilted her head again.  I nearly swooned as her lips twitched into a small smile, her fingers moving from my mouth to cup my face.  I leaned into the gesture longingly, hope spreading through my chest at the yearning look in her own eyes. 

"I like you too," she whispered in her delicate voice.  The sound paired with her hand on my face made me shiver pleasantly.  There was no denying the loving look in her eyes as she leaned towards me.  I froze, mind blanking as she pressed a kiss to my cheek softly.  My eyes closed as this new divine feeling swirled in my chest, everything feeling warm and fuzzy when I opened my eyes to look at my new lover.