15: The Giddiness Delusion

Hola, sweethearts! Hope you're all doing really well. It's really early in the morning, but this is the only chance I'll get to post this today :) A notice of sorts - I posted a summary to a sequel to Having Your Jelly Baby yesterday, and I would love to know what you think of that. So far the reception to it has been pretty scary, I'm not going to lie, and I don't know if I'm going to post it anymore, but ahhh, I don't know. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter! Sorry if it ends in a weird place. (Also, sorry for apologizing for SOMETHING at the start of every update, it must get super irritating. I'll try and stop that, haha.)

15: The Giddiness Delusion

On the evening I arrived home from Milan, I had thrown myself into my bed almost as soon as I stepped through the door to my bedroom, out like a light after the most exhausting time I had ever had going through airport security. The whole process, already tiring and ridiculously extensive, had been made even longer by the fact Emilie, Griffin and I were so unbelievably hungover, with Ronan stifling laughs at our unimpressed faces. Judging by the brief glimpse of my reflection which I had caught in the restroom at the airport, we all looked like the picture of absolute death.

As much as I had loved being in Italy, there was nothing quite like the comfort of my own bed, especially when the sheets were freshly-washed and hadn't been slept in.

The weekend that followed too, I spent snoring away happily in my bed, woken up in the morning only by the sound of my phone ringing loudly, and which yanked me out of a dream I would have quite liked to have seen through to the end.

Jerking awake at the sudden burst of noise, I groggily grappled around on my bedside table for it with my eyes still closed as I finally answered. Holding it up to my ear, my barely awake brain hadn't registered the fact that it was a FaceTime call instead of a regular audio one.

'Lai, why is the screen all dark? I saw your face for a split second but now all I'm seeing is just black,' Nova sounded simultaneously confused and amused. 'Is it my Wi-Fi connection or yours that's playing up?'

Immediately opening my eyes and holding my phone out in response to her statement, I flopped onto my front and put the phone in front of my face. As I yawned, Nova's face appeared in the vision of my slightly watery, half-closed eyes.

'Ah, there you are! I see you now,' she said, her teeth glinting as she broke into a wide smile. The tan she had made them look even whiter; I didn't know if it was because mine were suddenly adjusting to light, but even her eyes seemed brighter than I had seen them in a long time. Either that, or she had developed anemia recently. 'Sorry, did I wake you?'

'Nah, it's okay. I've spent the last couple of days just writhing like a slug in bed - but anyway, how are you? I haven't spoken to you in months, Supernova!' I said, the sound of her warm voice suddenly leaving me wishing that I could reach through the phone and give her a long and lingering hug.

And it was true, I hadn't spoken to her in months. The last time I had exchanged a single word with her was a few days before my leaving get-together, telling her all about my new job while she listened intently, excited for me, but subdued in the way she had been for the last couple of years.

'Tell me about everything that's happening in your life! You look so amazing, babe,' I told her with an exhilarated laugh. 'Maybe I need some of whatever's in that Australian water.'

Her smile became rueful. 'Oh hush, you crazy girl. I've missed hearing your laugh, though,' Nova said, sighing softly. 'I miss being around you and having you just five minutes away and not dealing with arsey time-zones stopping us all the time!'

'I know, me too. I miss you so bloody much,' I said, propping my elbow up on my pillow and resting my chin on top of my hand. Tilting my head, my eyes raked over the pixels that made up her face, getting the feeling that there was something more she wanted to say. 'I'm sensing a "but" here somewhere, though?'