Chapter 25

Aaron got up early the next morning to get ready for the funeral and head back to his room. Since this week would be pretty hectic, we tried to spend more time together. We had those long talks we did before I left.

I grudgingly got out of bed when Diana and Cecelia came in to help me get ready. Mary was busy with the adjustments to my dress for Saturday. They sent me into the bathroom while they picked out my dress.

I showered, brushed my teeth, dried my hair, and everything in between before coming out to out my dress on. It was fitted black lace with a ribbon on my waist. My makeup was simple, and my hair was curled the way Mother always liked it. Diana put a peony in the back of my hair where two strands met. When I put on my shoes, I went on my way.

The other Elite cam out of their rooms, as silent as the people we were going to honor. Harrison joined into the nicely filed line, dressed in a sharp black suit and tie. He had a white peony tucked into his suit pocket. He walked beside me and took my hand, and I gave it a squeeze.

When we came into the ballroom, all of the lights and chandeliers had been dimmed. It wasn't dark, but there was little light filling the room. Hundreds upon hundreds were here, yet the front row remained empty for the Royals, Elite, and Harrison. I was surprised to see that Nathan was in the front row, as well, but I them remembered he was Aaron's cousin.

Marlee was on my left side and Harrison on my right. They each took one of my hands, and I trembled as I struggled to hold on. A faint musical sound filled the air as my church's preacher stood to give a eulogy, followed by our mayor, then governor.

Then I was invited up to speak. Harrison looked at me, pleading for me not to go in his eyes. "You'll be fine," I whispered. I kissed his forehead and went up to the platform that was installed for this occasion.

"Friends and family, I am Elisa Carams. Elite member, previously kidnapped, and Hampton citizen. Hampton was were I grew up, and it hurts my heart to see the disaster take place," I began. This part was easier to hold tears back for.

"But it hurt even worse that my family members were victims. My father, mother, uncle, and both of my sisters were taken from me, and my brother was believed to be, but he was discovered to have escaped."

I gripped the end of the podium. "My father was a strong man who didn't always show the pain he felt, but he would always be cheerful for coming home to our family. He dearly loved my Mother, who was a woman in all definitions. She survived the hardships of a lower caste, but it made her a better person. She loved us fiercely, and accepted me for who I was, even when she didn't expect me to change."

"Francesca could light up a room. She was four years old, but one of the most lovely people I've encountered. Franny had a way of making people melt, and she could definitely use that to her advantage," I smiled sadly. I let out a chuckle, but it was cut off my a sobbing scoff. "My Uncle Darren was always accepting of who I was, and he was my shoulder to cry on when things got hard. He would calm the storm and keep my waters still."

"And Penelope," I paused. "She was so passionate about everything she did. She never liked to be wrong, so she did whatever she could to make herself right. Even if that did mean changing the laws of the universe in her favor. She wasn't just my beloved and beautiful sister, but my younger brother's twin and other half. He has lost a part of himself because of this."

"It's not just my brother and me who has lost. It's Hampton. All of the families have their stories to tell, which is why I'm transforming the land I once lived on to a memorial for the victims of what will forever be known as The Hampton Burn."

I wiped tears from my eyes as I went back to my seat. The preacher gave us a prayer before we went to the gardens to reveal Penelope's memorial piece. America and I led everyone to the gardens, and a large violet ribbon was wrapped around the eight posts of the octagonal gazebo.

America stopped and nodded for me to go on. I released a shaky breath and brought Harrison up there with me. The violet ribbon matched our eyes. We took the scissors, each with a handle, and cut the ribbon. In the back of the gazebo, a piece of glass laid with enlarged words for it.

In honor of Penelope Hales Carams, beloved friend, sister, and twin. Age fifteen.

I turned to face the audience and reporters. I cleared my throat and prepared to speak, taking away all of the nervousness in my voice. With a confident sound full of strength, I began to speak.

"This memorial is a sanctuary to our loved ones. No life lost had gone unnoticed, nor has this tragedy. It will be here for as long as the people believe in the spirit of persistence. Persistence to survive, persistence to love, and the persistence of our hope represented through us through our loved ones. They are gone, but will never be forgotten!"

The crowd in front of me cheered after my speech. Harrison put an arm around me, and I held his hand. I held my chin up high as I kept my face straight. We walked back into the palace for the honorary service specifically for the Royals, Elite, and friends of my family.

The crowds subsided, and we were now in a ballroom that was cleared of the chairs in the middle earlier this afternoon. They were pushed to the side with the tables, set with the centerpiece of white peonies.

My dad's employees all came in a fleet, telling me of their sorrows and how sorry they were for my loss. Next came my church family, followed by my parent's circle of friends. Next came a pair of slightly familiar faces with violet eyes.

"Miss Carams," the older man addressed. He had violet eyes, and his dark brown hair was combed to the side. A woman was on his arm, but her eyes were brown and her hair strawberry blonde.

"Hello, sir. Do I know you? You look a little familiar," I said as I shook his hand.

"Well, it has been almost seventeen years since you saw me last," he chuckled. "My name is Slade Nicholas. I may look a tad familiar. Danielle did always favor my looks."

"Oh, you're Danielle's father?" I stammered.

"And your father's brother. I feel so much remorse for never reaching out, but he told me to stay away. That was when I met you, actually. You were almost a year old, and your parents came by to see us. That was after he told me he changed his name."

"I'm sorry for your loss of a brother," I said with great sorrow. I didn't know why my father felt so ashamed as to change his name, but they were brothers nonetheless.

"And your loss of a father. I assure you that he was a great man," he said with a sad smile. "This is my wife, Cassandra Nicholas."

"Hello, Mrs. Nicholas," I said, addressing the lovely woman.

"Honey, are you not going to introduce her cousins?" She said suggestively. She scoffed and shook her head. "Never was one for manners."

Harrison stood beside me with a puzzled expression. "Wait, you're my uncle?"

"Yes," he laughed. "But I'm afraid it's quite a long story for today."

"Well, I think it's time you meet your cousins," Cassandra said, summoning a line of young women behind her.

"This is Clara, Virginia, Stephanie, Rachel, Tabitha, Danielle, Shelby, Cameron, and my son, George," she introduced.