Chapter 36 - We're basically dead already.

Chapter 36 – We're basically dead already.

Lucy's POV

The fight's over pretty much before it even began. We lose.

Kailen doesn't order us to be killed straight up, though. No, apparently he has a much more sinister agenda as he simply tells his people to capture us and bring us back to their camp.

I don't fight it as one of the women in human form from earlier grabs both my arms and pins them behind my back, and I still don't fight even when I see everyone else being captured in the same way, including Justin, Amy and Jess.

They struggle briefly, before coming to the realisation that if we fight now we'll be dead in seconds. There're simply just not enough of us to win.

The fight between those in wolf form is a bit different, but ends in pretty much the same way, with those in our group either injured or defeated before they submit.

It all happens in a kind of blur, one that distorts what's happening around me at the same time as slowing it down so I can see everything.

There's shouting, screaming, crying, growling... but it hardly even registers in my mind.

The only thing on my mind right now is the realisation that Beck's been lying to me this whole time and, unlike earlier with Kailen, I don't have to fake the betrayal that's clearly displayed across my face.

All this time I've trusted him with my life, believing that he's the only ever person who's never done wrong by me, and now I find out that... that – well – this.

Beck is the son of the rogue that killed my parents... and all this time he knew.

"Him too," Kailen orders, causing another of the tough-looking rogues to move towards Beck.

He doesn't move to fight him off, though, as the rogue simply places a hand on one of his shoulders, his grip firm but not seemingly painful.

So, what, all this time Beck's been working with the rogues, betraying me all along? He's been passing on information to his father about our findings, our plans? The rogues have always seemingly been a step ahead of us all this time and Beck's the reason? But I don't understand! If he's been the spy all along, then why did he ask me to run away with him? Unless he was planning on bringing me here... back to the rogue camp. Was that his plan all along? All this time he's wanted me to move into the cave with him, was it all just a setup?

Oh, God... I'm such an idiot. I should've known... there've been so many hints, so many things that have never quite added up about Beck. Why didn't I guess that something was wrong?

The rogue holding me roughly pulls my arms behind me tighter, causing a spasm of pain to shoot into my shoulders.

"Move," she says roughly, pushing me forward.

Everyone slowly falls into step behind us as I'm forced to keep walking. I'm not sure what happenes to those in wolf form, but they're not brought with us, meaning there are now even less of us.

We're basically dead already.

The only upside to this is that there are no rogues around in wolf form anymore, but that could easily change at any second.

"You know where to take them," Kailen says, his voice more triumphant than I've ever heard it as I trip and stumble slightly when I'm shoved (yet again) from the rogue preventing my escape.

Justin walks next to me, and we quickly share a look of dread before the rogue holding him back drags him off to the side away from me, not even allowing us the comfort of close proximity.