Chapter 44

People didn't understand how we didn't get expelled with everything we did but seeing that the teacher was gone soon gossip started to spread. People had always been scared of Astéria but now it was worse than ever. No one dared look at her and everything got distorted saying that she started hitting Iris's friend out of nowhere just because she snapped. There were multiple versions of how the fight happened, some saying that Astéria ripped Iris's friend's nails off and others saying that she spit on her dying body. Despite whispering about her, no one dared say anything to Astéria. They went back to running away when they saw her screaming for their lives and a circle was created around Astéria's table, people not daring to sit next to her during class. This was childish but I had to admit that I understood where they were coming from. She almost killed a classmate. But did people forget who started the fight? Why was Astéria the only villain? She didn't do anything wrong.

I thought people would start hating me too but it seemed everyone forgot me because of the incident. I was really surprised and for the first time felt invisible. I was sure they were going to start staring at me again once they learned about me breaking the engagement off with the crown prince. People had already started rumors because we didn't dance together and were saying that Alastair got bored of me or that he fell in love at first sight with someone else. I was used to them whispering no matter what I did but I was curious to see their reaction when they would find out. They would surely come up with other surprising theories about why I broke off the engagement. People would be happy that Alastair was finally single and others would hate me for breaking his heart saying that I wasn't good enough for him. Just the boring stuff.

Talking about the boring stuff, I didn't have time to digest what had happened when I was invited to tea at the Palace. Saber appeared the second I saw Orange off and almost jumped on me all excited:

"Poehina! I have been looking for you!"

I almost fell and did my best to keep my balance before saying anything.

"Saber! What can I do to help you?

-I have a favor to ask you..."

She came down from my back and looked down for a moment hesitating.

"What is it? I am listening.

-Could you come for tea to the palace with me?"

I froze.

"To the palace?

-Yes... I am meeting up with Prince Sverre but the crown prince will also be there and he asked me about you. I am so sorry I said I would bring you but I was really uncomfortable and I really want to have tea with Sverre.

-Okay."

Saber jumped in surprise.

"What?

-Okay. You said you needed my help. Then I'll come.

-Are you sure?

-Of course."

I didn't care. I wasn't scared of Alastair and had no reason to hide.

"Poehina!"

Saber's eyes went all teary and she hugged me with all her strength.

"Thank you! Thank you! You saved my life!"

I started laughing before hugging her back:

"You are exaggerating.

-I am not. Thank you so much. You are truly an amazing person. I understand what she sees in you now.

-Who?"

She suddenly froze.

"No one. Sorry I was speaking nonsense."