chapter eighteen

18 x suit up

>>

"So, while you were unconscious, I decided to make you a suit," Tony declared.

I stared at said suit with a blank look on my face. I was volleying between excitement at finally having a suit, confusion at Stark's kindness, and wariness at the functionality of said suit. "I mean, it's cool," I rushed to say, not about to turn down a gift so large as a super suit, "but um . . . how do we know if it works?"

Tony wasn't about to be derailed by tiny things such as 'working,' though. "Obviously testing it would be ideal," he said, "but given we have only an hour, and I have other important things to do, if you want to test it, you'll be on your own." He paused only long enough to wave in the vague direction of Pietro, "Though I assume Sonic will be sticking around you, so-" he waved Pietro over.

Pietro gave me a perplexed look before zipping over to Stark, arching one brow at the billionaire. "So?" he prompted.

Tony shoved a thin pad into Pietro's hands, giving him a look. "You use this to monitor it. If it's got any kinks or bugs, they'll show up there." He waved both of us away then. "Now shoo. I have things to do."

Pietro shrugged and sauntered back over to me, waving an arm in a grand gesture. "Shall we?"

"I don't see why not," I said, flashing a smile before snatching the suit off the stand Stark had hung it on, and heading toward the door. "Training room sound good?" I asked.

"Only if I'm running us there," Pietro said. "We don't have much time to waste, after all," he said cheekily.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah. I think you just like carrying me."

He scooped me up, an impish smile on his lips. "What in the world gave you that idea?" he asked, before the world around me became a wild blur, until we were both in the training room. He set me on my feet, giving a small bow.

I grinned up at him and pretended to curtsey. "I'm going to go change real quick. Should only take a second," I told him before rushing off to the closet Clint had grabbed his weapons from. I wasted no time taking in the various weapons (though there were a lot, and I really wanted to) and instead changed fast. I emerged while adjusting the sleeves of the suit, grateful for the fact that they were only quarter-length. "This is nice," I observed.

Pietro nodded, giving me a once over before focusing on the tablet Tony had given him. "The screen says functionality is at one hundred percent."

"Good, because I haven't done anything yet," I pointed out. I stretched my arms out and around, getting a feel for it, and rolled my head. I could feel the collar against my neck, but it didn't bother me. "Let's do light first," I said eagerly, looking up at Pietro with excitement.

He shrugged. "Sure. Whatever you want to do."

I lifted one of my hands and sent a surge of light through it, watching as it glowed, feeling a certain level of satisfaction. This was the first time it had been so . . . easy. It didn't hurt. I wondered for a moment if maybe being unconscious had given my powers a chance to level out, but figured now wasn't the time to try and puzzle through that.

"Good," Pietro hummed, glancing between me and the tablet. "Maybe try, you know, the thing where it is all of you?"

"You mean where I'm all light?" I asked, looking up at him. "Yeah, I think I can do that."

He nodded. "Because now it still says one hundred."

"All right, then let's see what this does," I said, lowering my hands and bracing myself. I closed my eyes for a moment before taking a deep breath, and letting my light pulse. I could feel my eyes burning again, which was apparently becoming a normal thing, but this time it didn't hurt.