Chapter 59 ~ To The Sea (M)

The seven friends set forth in quiet contemplation, the unknown weighing heavily upon some.

At first, nerves jittered in Faelas' stomach. He felt revitalized, but also baffled by all the unanswered questions. He had hoped the journey to Lothlórien would bring answers... but it only brought further mystery.

But Faelas knew he would not solve the conundrums by twirling the events over or permitting worst case scenarios to chase each other through his mind. Rather he opted to immerse his gaze in the mountain slopes ahead, and planted each footstep with focused intent, feeling his reverence for Arda echo back with the tingles of Sylvan veins beneath.

However his sister appeared far more rattled. The visions were carved into both their memories, and they saddened him intensely, but Faelas summoned the strength to set the horrors aside. As Ellavan said, it served no one to drown in their misery. Alas, it was clear to his intuitive senses that the misery was choking Faeriel.

He observed Legolas watching her closely, and not for the usual reasons. The prince was worried in the same way.

Trepidation twisted Faeriel's belly and sorrow wrung her heart. The cruel memories from the nightmares and the mirror began gnawing her after they left the woods of Lothlórien, when it was just her two feet and her thoughts. Who would enslave and brutalize another being like that? Where were these enslaved beings? How was she to save them?

The unknown terrified her. She had fought one battle, using the wrist trick Legolas had taught her to escape just in time, and an instinctive power then burst from her to revert the remaining enemy to a natural, harmless form. But the responsibility of saving... thousands? Millions? She could not fathom it. And too, she felt a terrible sadness upon leaving the beautiful forest that felt so like home.

That same wistful feeling slid through Legolas, and his gaze alighted upon her often. Her sweet countenance was creased with concern as she gazed at the ground passing before her.

"Do you wish to speak, meleth nin?" He murmured, pausing his stride and catching her waist. "I sense you are ill at ease."

When Faeriel canted her face to his, his heart stuttered in his chest. Those vivid green eyes were haunted.

"I...," she hesitated. The Lady had said they must make haste. There was no time to elucidate her woes. "I am just... I was loth to leave Lothlórien."

Legolas sensed there was much more on her mind. But, he did not pry, for he too knew that haste was of the essence. And so on they went, but not before he claimed a lingering kiss, which to his delight, seemed to evaporate the thoughts plaguing her mind and left her smiling dreamily.

Talishaya soon aptly sparked a diverting conversation about sea dwelling Ardalings, further elevating Faeriel into a happier humor.

Ever the curious, Faelas was enthralled when he finally had occasion to try out his knapsack, for he could indeed fit himself within. The magical interior was roomy and especially comfortable when he unrolled his bedroll.

Legolas too entered his pack and was tempted to beckon Faeriel in with him, under the excuse of seeing how many could fit. But he knew the others would intuit his true purpose, and besides, haste commanded them.

He did, however, phrase questions to the others when he was inside it with the end cinched, and he noted with satisfaction that none could hear his queries. He grinned to himself, and as they marched on, many fantasies swam in his mind, all of which swelled his leggings tight.

His eyes found Faeriel often amid his ardent musings. She looked impossibly adorable with her long tresses half tied back in the braids he had woven for her that morning.