seventy-three

JJ's jaw clenched as he watched Iris glance at Tannyhill, only to see her meet eyes with Rafe

"Fuck."

If Rafe was going anywhere near Tanny Valley, JJ was going to intervene. And if Iris was going anywhere near Tannyhill, he was going to intervene.

He waited and waited and waited.

But he saw nothing.

But she never came to find him, so why couldn't he come and find her, right? That would be his excuse.

He knocked on the door at Tanny Valley, gulping slightly as the door swung open and he saw Iris' dad standing there.

"Uh, hi sir, uh, Mr. Campbell-"

"Mr. Maybank, correct?"

He nodded, "Yes, uh, yes sir."

"You helped my daughter stay alive for all those weeks?"

"Well, we all helped each other.." he muttered.

"It doesn't matter, you still helped and for that, well, I thank you." Rich replied, offering his hand as JJ readily shook it, "I'll let Iris know you're here. Come in."

So Rafe wasn't here. That was good. JJ could breathe again.

"Alright, uh, uh, thank you."

Moments later Iris appeared infront of him, looking better than ever. She was probably incredibly happy to be home, whereas he wasn't.

"Hey." A small smile appeared on her face, but there was evident disappointment, it was now clear that she was expecting Rafe, "Sorry I didn't come find you. I've been uh, spending time with my parents."

"You were expecting Rafe, weren't you?"

She furrowed her brow, knowing she'd been caught, but how did he know Rafe was back?

"I, uh, well-"

"Kiara told me everything."

"Everything? I, uh, sorry, what?" She asked, slightly confused.

JJ sighed, "She overheard you and Sarah talking on the boat, Iris."

"Ohhhh." She paused briefly, thinking, "Oh!"

"Yeah, oh." JJ said as he looked away briefly, his hands moving up to his temples as he moved closer to her, "What the hell, Iris?"

"I need to apologize, JJ-"

"Why didn't you say that Rafe was there with you?"

"Because I knew everyone would react this way!"

"React this way?" He scoffed, "Or do you mean us just finding out about you and Rafe, hm?"

"JJ..."

"You don't have much to say now do you, Iris?" JJ muttered, locking eyes with her, "Just answer me this."