seventeen

SOPHIE BLUSHED A deep shade of scarlet

SOPHIE BLUSHED A deep shade of scarlet. "I didn't mean it like that," she said quickly. Her heart pounded inside her chest. He cocked his head slightly and watched in amusement as Sophie jumped to her feet. She hugged her phone to her chest and eyed him.

"I'm going to go back to my dorm room now," she announced.

He leaned back in his chair and folded his arms behind his head. His button down shirt stretched over muscles that Sophie hadn't noticed until then. She gulped. "I'll see you tomorrow then," he said.

Her lips pressed into a firm line. She whipped around on her heel and then stormed from the classroom. His dangerously low chuckle seemed to echo within the silence that coated the corridor. The hairs on the back of her neck rose. Her heart clenched tightly inside her chest. Every instinct in her body practically begged her to run back into the room and tell him the truth. She wanted to let him know that she did happen to find him drop dead gorgeous, and sexy, and also mysterious. She wanted him to smile that cocky smile and return her opinion. Sophie was almost overcome with the need to confess to him.

Her mind spun, even more chaotic than it had been earlier.

Sophie ducked into a bathroom and rushed to the mirror. She pushed the faucet on and ran her hands under the gushing water. She splashed at her face. Her entire body trembled.

Mr. Wolfe hadn't seemed offended, or even put off that she'd so casually mentioned she was attracted him. Instead, he'd been amused. She didn't know what to think of that. Did that mean that Sophie actually had a chance with him? Or was it simply that he thought she was funny? Did he think of her as a kid, too young to really understand love?

She rubbed at her face again. Sophie was definitely not a child. She was almost a legal adult. Mr. Wolfe was obviously young; he had to be in his early twenties or so. Sophie shuddered. To him, she probably was a child.

Which posed as a major problem, should she want to get with him.

"What am I thinking?" Sophie shouted to herself. She rubbed at her eyes furiously again and huffed with frustration. This was her teacher that she was thinking about.

Sophie stormed from the bathroom. Tabatha had already left for dinner by the time she returned. Sophie flipped on the lights and then plopped down onto her bed. She contemplated joining her friends. They were probably looking for her. But chances were that if she went, she'd have to sit with Eli again. Sophie just couldn't handle him at the moment.

She stretched out across her bed and groaned.

The next day came a lot quicker than Sophie had expected it too.

Tabatha shook her awake, having already showered and gotten ready for the day. Sophie rushed a shower and then brushed her teeth as she wrestled into her clothes. Once she was remotely presentable, she joined Tabatha in the kitchen area of the dorm hall, and swallowed a bowl of cereal. Her stomach was in a jumbled knot -half starved from missing dinner the night before, and half concerned about how class with Mr. Wolfe would carry on.