Sanemi x Reader (Part 2)

Thanks @Fye6uwi2 for the request!
———

I was so sure he hated me but now as I sat under the cherry blossom tree to watch him, I noticed the way his eyes flickered to me and the soft blush that glowed across his face. He always seemed the type to be tough and never show many emotions but as I made eye contact with him, I realized I couldn't have been more wrong. His emotions and thoughts were clear on his face if you looked hard enough and there happened to be not a trace of hatred in his expression.

My hands were folded neatly in my lap, occasionally moving to brush a stray pink petal off my haori before my attention was drawn right back to Sanemi swinging his sword. It was true that I hadn't really spared him more than a glance before but there was something this morning that drew me in. He had glared at me then, a terrifying look of pure anger. I wasn't even sure what had possessed me to smile at him then.

Perhaps fate was in play here and had driven me to track him down throughout the day on a desperate search for someone I barely knew. Mitsuri would surely approve of my intentions and the dedication I had to find Sanemi who had made my heart skip in a way it never had before. I was pretty sure I knew what this feeling was even though I'd never experienced it before. It made me wonder if Sanemi felt the same way too.

Warmth spread across my face at the thought of his own chest clenching in a strange anticipation and eagerness whenever he glanced at me. What would it be like to have Sanemi's attention in that way? He was surely extreme and brutal but to be cared for from him was probably heavenly. To be on the protected side of his strength and know that he'd never let me go. It made me shiver pleasantly in both desire and surprise.

My thoughts had spiraled so far, I didn't even notice when Sanemi was standing in front of me until he cleared his throat. I flinched a bit in response, my eyes trailing up his body and over his scarred chest on display. When I caught sight of his face, I felt myself warm up further. His sword was sheathed at his hip, clearly done being used for now but I couldn't tear my gaze from the sweat rolling down his face.

"Are you going to sit there and stare or are you going to follow me?" Sanemi questioned with a rise of his eyebrow. He had a serious frown but there was a mischievous shine in his wide eyes that told me he was teasing me...and enjoying it. I quickly stood up, wobbling a bit on my feet as a head rush darkened my vision for a moment. Firm hands grabbed my waist as I recovered from the blood rushing to my head.

"Thanks. And yeah, I'll follow if you don't mind," I quietly said, brushing myself off when Sanemi released me from his touch. The brief contact had my face burning in a way that he could probably clearly see. He leaned in, eyes drawing me in. It almost seemed like he was going to.... He interrupted my thoughts when he plucked a petal out of my hair. I wasn't sure why he did it but he definitely wasn't about to kiss me. What an absurd thought to even have about a near stranger.

"I knew you were strange. Keep up then," Sanemi stated, turning away without another word. I took a brief moment to collect myself before following him. I wasn't even sure where we were going but I strangely didn't want to leave his side. Something felt unfinished and yet I wasn't even sure what. There was only one way to find out I suppose, falling into step with him.

As we walked in silence, I felt his stare trail over my face every now and again. I kept my own gaze forward to avoid making eye contact with him and making things awkward. There already seemed to be a bit of tension between us without a heated staring contest to make things worse. He didn't seem to care about it though, even a moment when his hand brushed mine as we walked. It made me tense up in anticipation for something that might not even be occurring.

"Why did you smile at me this morning?" Sanemi asked out of the blue. The question surprised me, my steps faltering for a second before I righted myself and tried my best to mask my expression that he was clearly watching with wide eyes. It was a fair enough question considering we weren't even friendly before this but I also wasn't sure how to answer without betraying myself to my sudden emotions.

"I guess I was curious about you," I whispered, regret washing over me instantly. It had the same tone of a confession, my cover most likely blown. I allowed myself to glance at him to find him staring back with his lips twitching into a miniscule smile that I was sure I have never seen before. Paired with his light blush, I grinned a bit bashfully.

"I'm curious about you too, y/n," he nodded back, his hand brushing against mine again. This time it felt more deliberate, his knuckles grazing mine before I felt his pinky finger loop with mine nervously. My shoulders tensed but I didn't pull away, wondering where this might go if I just sat back and let it. Sanemi seemed just as unsure as I was but somehow I figured this would go somewhere wonderful in due time.