Kanao x Reader

Thanks @altea7832 for the request!
———

I tugged Kanao along gently, hearing her chuckle every now and again as we ran across the field.  The butterfly mansion was far behind us with only this large field stretching far in every direction.  It was like a sea of grass, lit up in silver by the light of the moon.  The whole scene provided serenity and was instantly putting me at ease even as my heart beat fast. 

Kanao gently squeezed my hand, her touch sending small jolts of energy through my body and along my skin with goosebumps rising along my arms.  She always had a certain affect on me that left me breathless and full of warm joy.  I was pretty sure I loved her already but I kept it to myself to make sure I didn't scare her away. 

At this point I wasn't even sure I could function without her anymore.  She was the sun to my mornings, the moon to my night, the heat to my flame and so on.  Without her, I might just dissolve without her holding me together.  As my other half, I wondered if she felt the same way.  Even if she felt half as much of the love I felt for her, I'd be complete.  Kanao was the center of my world. 

"Slow down," her breathless voice called out quietly behind me.  I stopped running, turning to look at her and make sure she was alright.  She gazed back with a bright blush on her face from all the running but was otherwise unharmed.  A small smile curved her beautiful lips up into an expression of pure joy and bliss.  The same feelings that were swirling in my chest. 

"Sorry, sorry.  We're here anyways," I panted back, taking both of her hands in mine.  We took a few moments to catch our breaths, occasionally breaking out into laughter and having to start calming ourselves down all over again.  There was some sort of contagious carefree energy that was in the air tonight that only made this moment with Kanao even more heavenly than it already was. 

Eventually we caught out breaths before I leaned in to place a gentle kiss on her forehead lovingly.  She hummed in response, the sound carrying and striking a chord in my heart.  How could someone be so beautiful and perfect in every way?  It wasn't believable except when it came to Kanao.  She was all of my exceptions and beliefs wrapped up into one wonderful girl. 

"Are you ready?" I prompted with excitement tinting my voice as I practically bounced on my heels eagerly.  Kanao picked up on my energy quickly as she nodded enthusiastically.  Releasing her hands, I turned to the long grass around us that threatened to swallow us up.  This was a trick I'd found out one time and I knew Kanao was bound to enjoy it as well. 

Her eyes stayed glued on me as I inhaled deeply before unsheathing my sword.  The blade shimmered in the moonlight as I arced it over my head, swinging it horizontally just over the tips of the grass with a large gust of wind blowing from the harmless strike.  There was a brief pause where nothing happened as I sheathed my sword again at my hips, eyes looking out over the field. 

After a few beats, there was the first glow that lifted out of the grass before it was quickly joined by more and more.  It didn't take long for a whole shimmery procession of fireflies to float above the tall grass in bright trails of mocking stardust.  I felt myself become transfixed on the beautiful light they gave off, washing the grass in their own greenish yellow hue. 

"Oh my," Kanao breathed in beside me.  When I glanced at her, she had her hands over her mouth in awe, her eyes wide with curiosity and surprise.  I thought that she might've seen a firefly before but watching her now made me truly wonder how much she didn't know about and all that I could show her.  It all started here tonight and would continue on as long as it could. 

"Those are fireflies, beautiful aren't they?" I whispered gently, taking one of Kanao's hands in mine tenderly as she beamed at me.  She looked between the bright bugs and me with clear excitement on her face, her smile slowly growing wider.  I've never seen her smile so big before and it made my face heat up bashfully knowing that I had been the one to make it happen. 

"Yes they are," she breathed out, squeezing my hand before she started forward.  I chuckled, both of us moving through the grass to try to catch as many as we could.  She laughed out joyfully whenever she managed to find one in her soft palms, her happiness easily rubbing off on me pleasantly.  I wanted to keep her here forever if it meant she'd be joyful for eternity like she deserved. 

"I love you Kanao," I whispered when I brought a firefly to her for her to enjoy.  The words just happened to slip out as I turned flustered.  She looked at me with wide eyes but before I could try to take it back, she leaned in to leave a quick kiss on my lips that made me freeze up in shock. 

"I love you too y/n," she whispered back, turning back to her fireflies with a soft blush on her face.  Snapping out of it, I smiled uncontrollably feeling fulfilled in a way I never was before.  I could die tonight and die happy knowing that Kanao loved me like I loved her.  This was the start of a beautiful life that I hoped we'd enjoy together.