Shinobu x Reader

Thanks @shaquilleoatmeeeal for the request!
———

Jeez, I was losing a lot of blood. Glancing down at my shredded haori, the bright crimson stain agreed with my deduction. The dizziness in my head was probably also a bad sign if the gushing wounds weren't a loud enough declaration. A dark chuckle sounded from my throat, the sound raspy and quiet from the gurgling of blood.

"Y/n? Is that you?" a familiar voice called out. It sounded far away and murky as if underwater but when my blurry vision focused enough, I saw Shinobu gazing down at me with those bright beautiful eyes of hers. I wasn't even sure when I had laid down in her lap but looking up at her now reminded me of how much I missed her these past few weeks on my mission.

"You're still as gorgeous as usual I see," I muttered, coughing afterwards with something warm sliding past my lips. When my shaky fingers lifted to brush the spit from my mouth, I saw bright ruby liquid smeared along my hand. The look of fear and concern on Shinobu's face was enough to tell me that I needed medical attention. I trusted her with my life though and didn't panic, knowing she'd heal me right up in no time. Promptly after I finished the thought, I blacked out.

~~~

Waking up, I was aware of two things instantly. One was that I was in a nice soft bed and not on the cold ground of the woods or in Shinobu's lap. Second was that everything hurt like hell from my head to my stomach where the tightness told me that I was already bandaged up where the demon had slashed me. Even my arms were fixed up with the sharp smell of ointments wafting off my bruised skin.

Groggily, I sat up with a groan that echoed in the small room. My eyes glanced around the space to find not a single person in here with me. The only thing that was personally familiar was the sheathed sword laying by my bedside. An idea sprouted in my head, probably not a totally smart one but one that would distract me from my lingering pain.

I eased myself off the bed with a couple hisses and whines but once I was on my feet, I felt great. In fact, I felt great enough to swing a few motions of my sword outside for a bit. Hopefully Shinobu wouldn't mind if she came by to check on me and found me gone. She should have nothing to worry about after she found me doing just fine outside, running through a few training exercises to keep me fit and prepared.

Deciding to keep quiet in case someone tried to question where I was going, I silently grabbed my sword and tiptoed out the door of the room. The halls of the butterfly mansion were thankfully empty as I snuck around corners and down passageways. I might've found it all a little strange that no one else was around if I wasn't so focused on avoiding everyone.

When I spotted the exit to the outside, I let out a small victorious laugh. The sound echoed down the hall behind me in an eerie way but I ignored the prickling sensation spreading down my neck and along my spine as I threw open the door to be instantly blinded by the bright light of the outside world. My grip on my sword sheath tightened as I took a hesitant step out of the butterfly mansion. I'll be back after I regain a bit more strength, I promise.

"Where do you think you're going?" Shinobu's voice softly called out from in front of me. My eyes widened as my vision adjusted to the bright lighting to find her standing before me with an irritated glance and her usual smile. Something about it looked terrifying now paired with the murderous gleam in her beautiful stare. A bit too late, I moved my sword to hide behind my back.

"I just wanted fresh air is all," I meekly stated, my lie falling flat and breaking before I even got very far. Shinobu held out her hand palm up with a determination in her action that told me she'd drag me back to bed if she had to. Nothing could get by her in her own estate it seemed as I huffed before handing her my sword in defeat. My ribs protested in response as if reminding me of my injuries that demanded rest to heal.

"You should be sleeping right now. This is your one warning y/n," Shinobu sweetly smiled even as her eye twitched. I pouted back, already knowing that trying to win her over with just a pitiful look wasn't going to be enough to sway her. There was no way I could fight back when her mind was made up and luckily for me, she cared about me enough to ensure I rested until I was fully recovered.

She grabbed my hand firmly, turning us around to march me right back to the room I thought I had been sneaky enough to escape merely moments earlier. Urging me to sit back onto the bed, I watched her tuck my sword along her own waist before she pressed against my chest to guide me back onto the cushions. My face warmed at the sensation of her hand carefully pressing against me. Her expression didn't waver but I could see her eyes shimmer a bit brighter as I smiled up at her bashfully.

"You really do care for me, don't you?" I whispered softly, my own hand coming up to rest on her wrist. She gazed down at me with affection as she intertwined our fingers together between us. The contact sent jolts of electricity up my arm and through my body in the form of delightful shivers. The smile curving farther upon her lips told me she noticed the effect she had on me as well.

"More than you know," she whispered back, leaning in closer. I held my breath in anticipation, finding myself leaning up towards her as if she was the sun and I was nothing more than a stray moon stuck in her pull. When she got close enough to be able to brush against my lips, she averted her head to leave a kiss on my forehead. Both disappointment and bashfulness swirled within me as I looked at her pleadingly. She only chuckled back before untangling our fingers and standing up straight, my sword still at her hip.

"Now stay here and rest," she chastised with a playful tone that eased me. She offered me a final wink that made me flustered before she turned away and left. I fully laid back against the pillows with a dreamy sigh. If only Shinobu had left her kiss on my lips, I was sure I would've instantly healed.