55. Distancing Himself

<————««❃❃❃»»————>

<————««❃❃❃»»————>

Shehnaaz  and Sidharth were sitting on a bench in a garden. They were talking to each other. Shehnaaz told him that Jasmine had told her everything about Sidharth. He inquired about what all she knew.

Shehnaaz was reluctant to say anything but stated anyway, "She told me that you were about to get married but your bride eloped from the wedding and left you at the altar."

She took no pause and completed her statement within a single breath. Now she was eagerly waiting for Sidharth to answer back.

Sidharth's face had turned pale after what he had listened to. He intertwined the fingers of his hands into each other and asked, "Did she say anything else?"

Shehnaaz noticed that he had lost all the colours in his face.

"Is it true...?" She inquired.

Sidharth replied to her rudely, "I think you would get all the information in the newspapers and magazines of that time." She could sympathise with Sidharth. She felt bad for him.

"I am genuinely sorry, Sidharth." She apologized.

"Why are you saying sorry?" Sidharth asked, and his gaze was fixed on Shehnaaz .

Shehnaaz was surprised by his reaction and looked back at him straight in the eyes.

"I am genuinely feeling sad for you. This might have been very stressful for you. I couldn't imagine how you would have dealt with that adversity in your life," Shehnaaz  said softly.

Sidharth passed on a low-key smile to her. "I am still sitting confidently before you. Doesn't that mean that I have already tolerated the situation well? " He answered.

Though he proclaimed that he tolerated the situation well, his face could easily reveal that he had been tolerating the aftermath up till now. Shehnaaz  understood that Sidharth was portraying himself as strong from the outside. It sort of annoyed Shehnaaz.

"Sidharth, could you please take off this mask and stop portraying it?" She said,

Sidharth was surprised to hear that from her. "What mask do you want me to take off?" he asked coldly.

"The mask that you have put on and keep portraying that things don't affect you anymore. Stop acting like you don't have a heart. Stop saying that you are much stronger than needed. Stop portraying yourself like that. Don't you get tired of behaving like you don't care about anything that is happening around you?" Shehnaaz  asserted, with annoyance in her tone.

Her words were sharp enough to enrage Sidharth. He was infuriated at her and ranted at the height of his tone, "What do you want me to do then? Do you want me to sit in the corner and cry over the incident that happened years ago? Five years have passed since that incident took place. I genuinely want to forget that rough patch in my life, but people have sworn to not let me over-look it. They didn't have anything else to say about me. I am tired. I am tired of explaining myself to them. And now I have decided that these things, or those rubbish talks, do not affect me."