Chapter 27

The drive to East Detroit took no longer than thirty minutes, and the sites they passed along the way took Valeriya by surprise. There were several burned down buildings; houses and businesses. Most were covered with graffiti tagged by one gang or another, an artist here and there. It was all beautiful and intriguing. She'd seen graffiti before in Russia, sure, but not like this. You could find it everywhere here, it was spectacular. Even if the artistry wasn't at it's best quality.

"Why are all these houses burned down? One or two is normal, but there is perhaps one per block here..." Valeriya pointed out as they came to a stop at a light near a small coffee shop.

"Interesting story really. See, those houses used to house gang members and druggies, and the only way to flush them out was to burn down their base, I guess you could call it. It sounds weird, like a vigilante thing, but it happens. Especially here." Toni breathed, raising her eyebrows as she thought about how odd the tradition actually was. Odd, but effective.

"Is that so? That's a very odd way to handle it. Why not just call the police?"

Toni nearly burst into a dangerous fit of laughter at that comment, "no, no. Cops are practically useless in Detroit. In USA as a whole, really... It's sad. They're sworn to serve and protect, but they do more harm than good. It's... It's different here, Val."

"I'm starting to see that now... Speaking of different, is Reed like you?" She turned her green eyes back on the other as she drove them to their desired destination.

"What do you mean different? Like... Like gay?" She chuckled in response.

"I mean, I'm wondering due to the things she says and jokes about. I'm still very new to this..." She sighed.

"Yes, Valeriya, she is. I came out shortly after she did. She somehow talked me into it, because I was scared, and she wasn't." Toni replied simply, happy that her cousin had her back like that.

"I'm glad she helped you. I'm also glad she helped us. Without someone on our side this would be a lot harder. We would still be wandering in the dark, you know?" Valeriya sighed then, leaning her head back on her seat. "So much has happened... And facing whoever it is we're going to come into contact with is a scary thought, but perhaps that's only so because we don't exactly know who we're supposed to be fighting right now."

Toni bit her lower lip and glanced over at Valeriya as they pulled up to their desired destination. "Maybe we do, maybe we don't. I think at this point, we'll see when we turn this car off..."

Valeriya could tell that she was bothered by all of this, it was no secret. The mere fact that it could be Sentinal that's causing all of this strife... Well, maybe it wasn't an if. Valeriya was almost sure that it was Sentinal, but she also knew that Toni was denying it to herself to such a dangerous degree. It scared her a little. Of course, they wouldn't know until they stepped into this building.

Toni shut off her car, lingering back a little before finally getting out and readying her gun in her arm. "We need to do this..."

Valeriya nodded and pulled her pistol out too, adjusting her posture for any upcoming danger. Danger that she was sure they would be faced with fairly soon. Their footfalls were light as they entered the rusted doors, looking around but coming up short. There was a creak here and there, but nothing that directly indicated another person. Toni sighed quietly and glanced at Valeriya, shaking her head.

Maybe there isn't anyone h-...

"Toni?" A deep voice came from behind the door of what looked to be the office of the shut down warehouse.

Toni stopped in her tracks, nearly dropping her gun when she heard the voice direct itself at her. She wanted to turn around, but she couldn't. She knew exactly who it was that was behind her and Valeriya. Why did it have to be him?

"Sentinal..." She turned slowly.

--

hey guys im sorry this took so damn long. im finishing this up while also starting new projects, including Operative Lawson. if you like mass effect or just sci fi things in geberal please check it out. love you guys