Chapter 56

Astéria seemed relieved:

"That's okay. I'll earn your trust again. I will prove to you that I deserve it.

-We will see."

I stood up and was ready to go to the bathroom but seeing that Astéria wasn't getting up and was still kneeling with her arms in the air, I stopped. Should I leave her like that or should I tell her to stop? Feeling my gaze Astéria looked up at me but soon looked away, not daring to look at me for too long.

"You can stop now."

Astéria didn't seem ready to stop and I had to come back to force her to get up.

"I tortured you enough. You cried three times more than I did. I am sorry that's worse because I did it on purpose.

-Don't apologize, please. I deserved it. I deserve way more."

I rolled my eyes.

"I told you to stop acting cute. I still have a lot of questions but I am too tired to hear the answers right now. I want to go to sleep as early as possible. So let's go take our showers. I am going first."

When I came out Astéria was still standing in the middle of the room where I left her. I told her to move on but she looked on the verge of tears. I had to push her to the bathroom and waited for her to come out before going to sleep. In the morning I could see that the dark circles under Astéria's eyes became darker than last night. I froze when I turned to her, not used to waking up to the female lead. I could get used to this. This was nice.

"Good morning."

Astéria jumped hearing my voice before smiling:

"Good morning.

-Did you have a good night?"

She hesitated before shaking her head.

"Did you sleep at all?

-No."

I sighed before getting up.

"I told you that we were even.

-But you don't trust me anymore... I am so...

-Don't apologize again. That's the easiest thing to do.

-I know. I won't stop at words.

-Why did you come to me as someone else?

-I was scared of you not liking me as I was."

My heart squeezed. Astéria had big confidence issues and everything she did was because she didn't think she was good enough for me. I suddenly felt terrible for making her cry and couldn't help hugging her. I kneeled on the bed and pulled Astéria in my arms, her still sitting and therefore having her head buried in my neck. Astéria froze in my arms and I could feel her raise her hands but she didn't dare touch me. This made me laugh:

"You can touch me."

Astéria didn't hesitate a second and surrounded me with her arms pulling me very close to her.

"How could such a perfect person feel like that?

-I am not perfect... I hurt you..."

I grabbed her face and forced her to look at me. This made Astéria blush and I smiled:

"I forgive you and please forgive me for torturing you on purpose. You can be mad at me all you want but I would appreciate you forgiving me too.

-I would never be mad at you."

I touched her blushing cheeks with a smile:

"Remember all the times I told you that you were perfect? I wasn't talking about your physics or anything changeable. I meant this. The way you blush when I compliment you or the way you always put my well being first and would never get mad at me no matter what I did. You are perfect. You don't have to change to make me like you. You can get mad at me, you can make mistakes, you can get hurt. I won't abandon you."