48

EMERY WALKED IN the Gilbert house. She had received a text from Alaric who told her to come eat dinner and she reluctantly agreed.

The whole time, Elena acted like she wasn't there. Alaric could feel the tension between the two but he chose to stay quiet about it. Just then, Jeremy walked in and went straight towards the fridge.

"Just in time!" Elena smiled, "we're cooking."

"Sorry, just passing through," Jeremy muttered making Alaric look at him, "ah, well I thought we would all stay in, have a meal together like a typical, atypical family."

"Why?" Jeremy asked to which Elena replied, "maybe because you got fired and you didn't tell anyone."

Jeremy shrugged, "I told Em."

"What?" Elena's head snapped in the witch's direction. She raised her brows at her, "you didn't think it was important to inform me?"

"I didn't think you cared since it wasn't about you. And you didn't exactly give me the opportunity to do so."

Emery's reply earned her a loud scoff from the doppelgänger.

Sensing another argument, Jeremy stepped in, "look, can we do this later? I made plans with Tyler. He's right outside."

"Oh wait!" Alaric frowned, "When did you start hanging out with Tyler Lockwood?"

"I don't know," Jeremy mumbled, "Does it matter?"

"Yeah, Jeremy!" Elena exclaimed, "It matters. He was sired by Klaus. He's dangerous."

"He can still hear you," Jeremy said, nodding towards the door, "he is right outside. Besides you of all people are gonna lecture me on who I can and can't hang out with?"

"Exactly," the witch couldn't help but mutter earning her yet another glare from Elena who looked back at Jeremy, "what is with the attitude?"

"Yeah, whatever, this is lame," Jeremy brushed her off, "Tyler is waiting." He started to leave, but Elena blocked his way, "oh, no no! You're not going anywhere, especially not with Tyler."

Jeremy sighed, looking at Alaric for help. The older man shook his head, "I'm with her on this, Jer. Sorry."

He then looked at Emery who shrugged, "you can do whatever you want as long as I come with you, of course."

"I don't mind that. Thank yo—" Jeremy was cut off by Elena, "No, he can't. Ric's with me on this. It's two against one. We're having dinner!"

Jeremy sighed, "all right, fine. You want me to stay in? Let's all stay in then." He glanced at the door and shouted, "yo, Tyler! Come on in!"

Elena's eyes widened in shock,
"Jeremy!"

Tyler then opened the door and walked in. "Oh," he smiled at the witch, "hey Em."

"Hi," Emery nodded towards the chair across her, "sit down. We were about to have dinner."

Elena shot Emery a look of disbelief while Jeremy smiled as he went to fetch Tyler a glass of water.

"Thanks," the hybrid muttered as Elena stared at him, "This is weird. Klaus has hybrids stalking me and now you're just sitting in our kitchen."

Tyler looked uneasy, "Look, maybe I should go."

"Oh, stay," Jeremy shook his head, going to sit beside him, "you're not doing anything."

"Unless you have to, you know, check in with your hybrid master," Elena said making Emery roll her eyes. "Kind of like Emery does. Did Klaus allow you to come here?"

"I'm this—" she formed a pinch with her index and thumb, "close from burning all the bones in your body from where I'm sitting, Elena, don't test me."

Tyler laughed, "it's not like that Elena."

"Tell me Tyler," Alaric began, "what is the difference between being sired and being compelled?"

"Compulsion—" Tyler began, "that's just mind control-like hypnosis. And being sired is— it's like faith. You do something because you believe it's the right thing."

"So you believe that serving Klaus is the right thing?"

"I don't serve him," Tyler shook his head, "Klaus released me from a curse that was ruining my life. I owe him for that."

"What if he asked you to jump off a bridge?" Alaric asked earning a frustrated sigh from Tyler, "He wouldn't! And even if he did I'd be fine. I'm a hybrid."

"Okay," Elena cut in, "so what if he asked you to rip your own heart out?"

"Again, he wouldn't."

"What if he did?" The doppelgänger pressed. Emery bit down hard on her bottom lip to prevent herself from saying anything. Tyler grew annoyed, "I don't know! Then I'd rip out my heart!"

However they all looked taken aback by what he did. He sighed. "You guys sound like Caroline, getting all freaked out over something you don't understand."

"You're right Tyler I don't understand," Elena scowled, "Klaus has terrorized every single one of us and you're just blindly loyal to him."

"You're over-thinking it," Tyler spoke, "I can still make my own decisions."

Just then, Jeremy's phone started ringing. He stood up and went to answer it. After a few seconds, he came to sit back down. Elena narrowed her eyes at him, "what was that about?"

"It was nothing."

"I got to go," Tyler muttered, standing up, "umm, thanks for the food offer, but..."

"Next time." Alaric offered earning a nod from Tyler before he left. Alaric stood up, "That was illuminating."

"So, Tyler Lockwood is a lunatic who has access to our house," Elena said as she helped Alaric with the food.

"I mean this whole sire bond thing is wild," Alaric noted, "I don't even think Tyler is fully aware of what little reason lies behind what he's saying. It's this weird cult logic."

"Can't you tell Klaus to back off?" Elena asked Emery who had decided to approach them to help as well. She shot Elena a look which shut her up instantly. The doppelgänger signed, "well, great, that's a wonderful influence for you Jer—" Elena cut herself off when she turned around and found that Jeremy was no longer there. "Jeremy!"

Emery's eyes fell on his protection ring which was lying in the middle of his plate on the table. She picked it up as Alaric eyes it, "that's his ring."

"Where did he go?" Elena questioned while they went outside and found him standing in the middle of the street.

"Jeremy?" Elena frowned in confusion, "what is he doing?"

Her question was answered when a car came whipping around the corner and sped towards Jeremy.

"Oh my god!" Elena screamed, "Jeremy!"

"Jeremy!" Alaric shouted as well, "Jeremy move!" But he wasn't moving. He was just standing there, as if waiting for the car to run him over.

Alaric ran towards Jeremy, pushing him out of the way just before the car hit him instead. He rolled over on the ground, unconscious. Tony rolled down the windows, smirking at them, "There I go again. Bumping into people—" his eyes fell on Emery and his face paled before he quickly drove away again. Emery stared at the car, horror filling her insides. She knew who was behind this but she hoped she was wrong.

Jeremy seemed to have snapped out of his daze as he stood up and rushed towards Alaric.

"Fuck," the witch muttered, staring at him as Elena showed them the ring in his finger, "he'll be fine."

Jeremy sighed in relief and confusion, "I don't understand."

"Who was that on the phone earlier?" Elena asked her brother who replied, remembering, "it was Klaus!"

"You were compelled, Jeremy!"
Elena exclaimed, looking at Emery, "This is all your fault." The witch stood up, shaking her head before she walked away, not bothering to say anything to anyone.