14: Until I Met You

Chapter 14

Dinner ended up turning out quite… normally. There were no sudden insults, no awkward silences and, just like Cason promised, I wasn’t unexpectedly tossed in the pool again.

The burgers that Diana had fried were exceptionally delicious and, as I devoured two of them, I wondered what secret ingredient or extra spice she had added to the meat to make them so juicy and full of flavour. They were almost as good as the burgers that my dad used to make, and that was saying something because he was quite an established chef in our old time.

As my mom and I were headed out the door that night, after thanking Diana for the lovely meal and company, Cason snuck up behind me and pulled my phone right out of my back pocket.

After glaring at him, while also giving him a smack on the head for reaching into my shorts, he just rolled his eyes and entered his number into my phone, filling out the fourth contact spot in my phone.

I know it sounded sad, but it was true; I only had four contacts. The included my mom, the house phone, Olivia, and now Cason. I didn’t see the need to have any phone numbers registered in my contacts if I didn’t talk to anybody in my old town, so I simply didn’t.

Anyways, Cason returned my phone a couple seconds after programming his number, telling me that he would text me if he thought of a way to help me break out of my shell.

Slipping my phone back into the safety of my shorts pocket, I waved a final goodbye to Cason before leaving the house along with my mom.

Strangely enough, I knew that my mom had seen the little exchange between Cason and I, however, she didn’t question me at all during the walk home. In fact, she didn’t mention it at all throughout the weekend.

As I had planned, I spent the weekend relaxing; basically just walking up and down the beach, taking a swim and then watching a couple movies. It was quiet, simple, and a well-spent weekend in my opinion.

When Monday morning rolled around, I was a little less than enthusiastic to get out of bed in the morning when my alarm started to ring. I had gone to bed around midnight after finishing a movie, which looking back on it now, was probably not a good idea as I only ended up getting a little more than six hours of sleep.

Throwing my hand out to the side, I slammed it down gently a couple of times before it finally came in contact with my alarm clock to stop the excessive ringing.

Taking a couple minutes of relaxation and laziness to myself, I stayed curled up underneath my blanket with my eyes closed, however, I was very aware that I was not to fall asleep.

After a few more minutes passed I realized that time for sleep was over and it was now time to get up and get ready for the day that lay in front of me. Tossing my blanket to the end of my bed, I moved to a sitting position, stretching out my limbs and releasing a few yawns before standing up and heading to my bathroom for a shower.

I turned the temperature of the water up slightly before jumping into my shower, and as I stepped in, the spray made my senses awaken and brought life to the nerves in my body that had still been in hibernation.