Ex-best Friend

"When can I have my best friend back?" she asked out of the blue.

Our backs were against the wall, and silence had taken over us.

"I don't..." My voice trailed. We stared at each other for a long while. What she was going on about, I had no idea.

"Nevermind." She suddenly spoke. "You answered my question."

Without another word to the conversation, she stood up and walked away. Logically, I got on my feet and ran after her.

"What's up?" I asked when I had finally caught up.

My best friend turned to me and the smile was long gone from her lips. Instead, they were pressed in a thin line. I was stricken by this out-of-the-blue behavior.

"Honestly?" she said loudly, disbelief heavy in her voice; like her reasoning should have been obvious to me. My eyebrows rose in question. She scoffed and turned her body away slightly, now with her arms crossed to her chest.

"Figures. All you ever care about is yourself. It's always you, you, you. 'Oh, guess what I did today?' 'Guess what happened to me?'" she mimicked, emphasizing the 'i' and 'me'. "When was the last time we talked about me?"

A long time.

There was silence.

"Yeah, that's what I thought." Her voice was now quiet, like she didn't want this to be happening either.

"I'll change," I mumbled after a while, but she had no problem hearing me.

"No, you won't. This is who you are, or who you've become. You used to be different. You used to be my best friend. Now, I have no idea who the person standing in front of me is."

She walked away, and I stayed. I shouldn't have stayed.