Chapter Nine

ESCAPISM

The next day I was called to the Dance office first thing. It was a relief, because it meant I didn't have to face Maddie and Jojo at breakfast.

Heading once again to the east wing's second floor, I was surprised to see that Señor Messi and Señor Ronaldo were both stood outside of the office with Madame Annette. It almost felt like an intervention.

"Good Morning Ronen!" Sunned Madame Annette. "It's good to see you here."

"Good morning." I said, returning her greeting.

"Thank you for coming so early." Said Señor Ronaldo. "We wanted to talk to you as early as possible so we could give you some time to think. Señor Messi and I have an interesting proposition for you."

"I'm listening."

"Well, Ronen." Madame Annette gave a wide smile. "The boys have been raving about your Ballet Lessons!"

"We don't know what you did, but they're lighter on their feet all of a sudden! The last match, Haaland scored a goal with one of those kick things you dancers do... what's it called again?"

"A Jété." I said, answering Señor Messi with a grin. "He told me about that... I was proud."

Señor Messi laughed. "So were we! You've really grown on our boys, and yesterday at practice they asked us if you could come on the trip with them."

"The trip?" I echoed, quizzically. "You mean that tournament they're playing in?"

Señor Ronaldo nodded. "It's 6 days in France, and 8 matches. You'd have to catch up on all your lessons, of course, but it would be great to have you there."

"I assume you aren't going on the Dance Trip to Italy." Said Madame Annette. "So it would be good for you to experience a Senior Trip in some capacity."

The idea made me feel uncomfortable.  Not because I didn't want to go - but because I felt like I would be intruding.  Lately, I'd become friendly with the boys but it wasn't as though we'd been on the same course all throughout school, not to mention I'd be the only girl...

"I'm really not sure." I replied.  "I mean, it would be late notice for my parents -"

"Your mum gave me the 'O.K' earlier." Interrupted Madame Annette.  "The only person we need the go ahead from now is you."

I was surprised to hear that my mother had actually granted permission for me to travel with the boys.  Of all my critics she was the most formidable, and she hated the fact that I'd so easily given up on dance.  To her, my current setup was just a distraction, so to let me dive deeper into it went against her nature. 

It also left me without an excuse.

With a sigh I looked kindly to the teachers, allowing a pensiveness to enter my gaze.  "I'll think about it."

"Thats fine." Señor Messi smiled.  "But you have to let us know by tomorrow, okay?"

"Will do." 

I smiled coyly at the teachers before taking my leave.  In my head I already knew that my answer would be 'no', but in cases that involved Madame Annette it was always best to act as though i'd at least considered the proposal.

It was my ballet session with the boys next, and I fumbled along the corridor with a brisk pace as I headed there.  My steps were so heavy I could hear them echoing in my ears, but even amongst that noise there was a faint voice that sounded as though it was calling after me.  I lifted my eyes to try and locate it, and sure enough, Jude was right behind me, jogging in my direction.