Chapter 27: Facade (Day 10)

Recap:

He laughed and continued to drag you upstairs. You and Jeff climbed into your bed and you laid against him for warmth.

After about an hour, you remembered that you planned on contacting your friend to let her know you got back.

"I need to go get my phone," you said drowsily, sitting up.

"No," Jeff mumbled as he pulled you back down. He put his arm over you and pressed his forehead against the side of your head.

"I-"

"Shhh... Just go to sleep."

-+-

The morning was rainy and foggy.

You and Jeff spent the day explaining things, or he did at least. You asked him lots of questions about what was going on.

"If I tell you," he started, "I don't know if you'll keep it a secret."

You and him sat on the floor of your living room facing each other. The house was almost silent and the only thing that you could hear was Jeff's voice and the constant ringing in your ears. That ringing developed over the past couple days, either that or you already had it.

"Oh, come on," you pressured him. "We can both trust each other one-hundred percent now, right?" You tilted your head at him and looked into his eyes.

He looked away, guilty, and then replied, "Fine."

You smiled and repeated your question, "So, why do you always open that window?"

"Well," Jeff sighed, "I like the cool air..."

You narrowed your eyes and stated, "That's a lie." You frowned at him as he looked away for a moment and then took a breath.

"It's because that one girl- Jane- she..." he started, "She wanted me to keep it open."

You were confused. Why would she want that?

"But why?" you asked, "She-"

"She wanted you to get confused and question everything. She wanted to kill you," Jeff said.

You gaped for a moment, understanding it all. She was the one that wanted to kill you? That's even more messed up- that she would have someone else do it.

"That's why I want to protect you. I don't want her to get her way," he confessed, taking your hand.

He cared about you so much, and the last thing he wanted was for her to hurt you. That's exactly why he was so opposed to her going in your room that night or touching you in the elevator.

"So, that's why you've done all this for me, then?" you questioned, eyeing him.

"Of course. I love you," he stated.

"Okay," you said, not giving it any thought. You decided that going with the flow was the best option. There was no point in confusing yourself any more. He was being completely honest with you now, so you didn't have to worry about anything.

Later on that night, you took some time away from him. You sat outside in the back yard and watched the sun go down. The rain had stopped and the clouds were out of sight. You listened to the bells ring on your neighbor's outdoor chimes.

You eventually fell asleep in the grass, but you woke up when you felt a couple drops of rain on your face. Quickly, you ran back inside and closed the door just before it started to pour. Luckily, Jeff was waiting inside for you with a towel.

"Here," he said, handing it to you. You weren't too wet, but you gladly took it anyway.

"Thanks."

After you dried off, you sat down at the table and relaxed. Jeff sat down next to you and placed one glass of water in front of you and another by him.

"Thanks," you repeated, taking a couple sips.

He smiled at you and placed his head in his hand with his elbow propped up on the table.

Your face was flushed with a look of lust as he placed his hand on your cheek. You blushed and set down your cup.

"W-what's that for?" you asked.

"Just admiring how beautiful you are," he replied.

You blushed again and looked away, trying to think of something to say.

"You're really good at this," you muttered.

Jeff smirked. "What?" he asked sarcastically.

"You're just amazing," you said. You stared deeply into his eyes.

"And you are too. Everything about you is amazing. Your voice, your eyes, your face..." he declared.

You blushed even harder.

"You really do trust me, huh?" he questioned, taking his hand away from your face.

"Yeah," you sighed, smiling.

"Good," he said, "because I can't wait to start cutting into that cheek."

Your eyes widened and you darted out of your chair, backing away from him. The wet towel fell onto the floor, making the wood crinkle.

"W...what...?" you stuttered. Your heart rate was increasing and you started to shake.

"(y/n)..." he mocked, exposing a knife in his right hand. He chuckled slightly as you became paralyzed.

He jumped towards you and wrapped his arms around you completely. He almost cut off your circulation as he grabbed your face and made you look up at him.

The clock struck midnight.

"I love you so... so much..." he started, "but I need you to go to sleep now."

You felt a sharp pain in your side.