37: hold my heart

Over 3000 word chapter again :-) ITS SUMMER NOW GUYS WHICH MEANS EARLIER UPDATES (HOPEFULLY) VOTE & COMMENT CAUSE YOU GUYS MAKE MY DAY EVERYDAY 👑 also, today is June 4th: Evelyn Steele (Jess' mom's) birthday.

Jess

"What is he doing?" I hiss, trying not to make a big scene. It didn't look like people were paying any attention, but that would change very soon if Gemma and I do not do anything. Who knew it'd be Nick to break the rules and not me?

"I-I don't know what to do. Gemma do something," I urge her. She fumbled and threw her hands in the air.

"I don't know! I, uh...I'll try to get everyone's attention and you go over to them."

I slightly cringe seeing that they're sticking their tongues down each other's throats still. I did not want to be anywhere near that.

"Fine, go," I tell her.

"Everyone!" She shouts as loud as she can and raises her arms above her head. Nobody paid any attention to her besides a few people who walked by us. I watched, frozen, as she hurried across the floor towards the DJ and got his attention. He took his headphones from his ears and hooked them across the back of his neck.

Gemma yelled something into his ear and he nodded his head a couple of times before cutting off the music. Loud boos and awes were heard all across the room.

I start hurrying over to Nick and Jamie once everyone's attention went to Gemma.

"Everyone! There's a very exciting pool tournament going on in the other room!" She spoke loudly, putting an enthusiastic smile on her face.

The DJ looked at her as if to say, "that's it?"

I saw her sigh and roll her eyes at him before turning back to the crowd. "Also, we're making margaritas at the bar!"

I jogged the rest of the way over to Nick and Jamie. I grabbed Nick's shoulder and pulled them away from each other. Both of them looked surprised and clearly bothered that they were interrupted.

"What is wrong with you?!" I screech at him, glad that the music that had been turned back on drowned out my voice.

The lazy smirk on his face told me that he was very drunk. Jamie, however, did not look drunk at all.

"What's wrong with you?" Nick shot back weakly.

I turn to Jamie because I knew I wouldn't get anything out of him in this state. "Jamie, how could you let this happen? He's drunk," I say to her in a much more calm manner, but I was still angry.

Nick couldn't completely ruined things. Even though a part of me really wishes he had, it would give him such a bad reputation and he doesn't deserve that.

Jamie fumbled with her words and looked just about everywhere else in the room but at me.

"Jamie," I repeat. She tucked her hair behind her ear and stood up straighter.

"He's my boyfriend. I can kiss him whenever-"

My eyes grew wide. She was the one who started this?

"No, you cannot actually kiss him whenever," I say more quietly than she had. "Not while..."

I scan my eyes around the room quickly, making sure nobody is trying to eavesdrop. Just to be safe, I open the balcony door and take Nick's arm and pull him outside, Jamie following. I'm relieved when one of the few people out here included Liam.

"Hey, Liam? Can you and your friends head inside real quick?" I ask in the sweetest voice I could muster. He turned around and his laughing faded away, but his smile didn't. His cheeks were flushed red and it wasn't just from the freezing air. Most likely, it was from multiples of the liquid in the red cup he had in his hand.