54

KLAUS AND EMERY WALKED side by side on the street, with streetlights casting their shadows like a spotlight.

They were taking slow steps, with his hands clasped tightly around hers as they walked— neither of them in a hurry to reach their destination which was Emery's house.

"You knew I was seeing your mother in my dreams this whole time," Emery muttered, looking at Klaus.

He sighed, his lips pursed in a thin line, "I didn't think it was anything important. It made no sense, why would you dream of her?"

"I wish I knew."

"Don't worry about it," he assured her even though he didn't believe himself, "I'm sure it was nothing."

"I hope so," she let out a sigh when her house came into view. She didn't want to see Elena again. She had received a text from the Bonnie, telling her that Jeremy had left because Elena made Damon compel him. Emery had never been so pissed but she did nothing about it. While it wasn't the best approach, she thought it was, in a way, good that he left. The mere thought of losing him sent chills down her spine. "Remember you had something to tell me about my mom?"

"Right," Klaus cleared his throat, having stopped walking. He stood in front of her, "your mother, I knew her."

She didn't bother hiding the clear disgust that took over her features, "you knew her as in you knew her?"

Klaus stared at her, confused for a moment before he figured out what she meant and mirrored her expression. "What? No. No, of course not!"

"Can't blame me for assuming that."

"You're always assuming the worst," the hybrid muttered with a roll of his eyes, "I knew your grandmother too."

Emery didn't know why that scared her. What if he knows about the curse? She wondered."You know you just made me remember how old you actually are."

He shot her a blank look, "you're not letting me get to the point."

"Sorry," she muttered sheepishly, "go on."

"So I've been thinking," he began and her heartbeat accelerated. He furrowed his brows at that but said nothing as he went on, "both her and your mother died similarly."

"It's late," Emery quickly cut in, "and we're here, I should probably go."

"Right," he clicked his tongue, "because that's not suspicious at all."

"I just don't want to talk about it."

"About what?" He pressed, narrowing his eyes at her, "how you're the only Grant witch alive? How your mother died because of what they said is a sickness?" He took a step further, noting how her heartbeat just accelerated further, "Is that the same one that you have?"

"Stop," she placed a hand on his chest, slowly pushing him backwards to put some space between them, "you should go."

"I should?" He tilted his head to the side, "I know there's something wrong with you, I've always known. I just didn't think much about it. But then I saw that picture of your mom, I looked into it. Earlier today, Finn said something like 'they're never here to stay'. And I thought about your entire family, how no one is here. Something doesn't add up."

Emery stared at him for a few seconds before she hit her lip and walked past him, not bothering to answer.

The hybrid let out a frustrated sigh, "you're really walking away from me right now, little witch?"

Without stopping, she spoke, "I said I don't want to talk about it."

He vamp-sped in front of her, stopping her right in her tracks, "you're going to have to talk to me at some point, love. Don't make me go find out by myself."

"I never forced you to talk about your long— I'm sure eventful as well— past with me," she frowned, "so don't. You can go around and dig if you want, you might not like what you find."

"Fine," he mumbled, his hand going to his hair before he ran a hand through the dirty blonde locks, "all right, I won't try to find out anything. You'll tell me if it was something important, won't you?"

"Of course," she felt her throat closing up, "I would." 

She wasn't sure how he'd take the news- she wasn't sure she could tell him without him overreacting or not reacting at all. She didn't know which one would be worst. Was letting him in on that piece of information worth it after what he had said about needing Elena? What about her? Did he need her? and what if he didn't? Would that change anything? She did not want him to look at her with pity or care for her because he'd feel the need to. Emery brushed those thoughts aside. She was overthinking.

He said nothing for the next few seconds before he released a sigh and stepped closer once again. "Then why's your heart beating so fast?" He placed a hand on the side of her neck, his thumb caressing the skin under her jaw. "Is it because you're nervous or you're lying?"

Instead of replying, she connected her lips with his. Klaus knew what she was trying to do but paid no mind to it, he kissed her back. Their lips met in a slow and gentle kiss, as they melted into each other's embrace.

She pulled him closer, her fingers entwined in his hair, as his hands found their way to her waist. It was as if they were made for each other, their bodies fitting together perfectly, as if they were two halves of a whole. As the kiss deepened, they both knew that they didn't want it to end, but they also knew that they had to stop. It was like a fire burning inside of them, a passion that could not be contained.

Finally, they pulled away. He didn't bother putting distance between them and kept his face an inch away from hers, their breaths mingling. He traced his fingers along her jawline, admiring the beauty before him, "do you have any idea how perfect you are?"

"Trust me, I'm far from that," her voice was low earning a hum of disagreement from him. His eyes flickered to hers from her lips, "to me, you can't be anything but."

Before she could say something, his lips crashed onto hers with a forceful intensity. His hands gripped her waist tightly, pulling her close to him. He bit down on her lower lip, almost drawing blood, as he displayed his possessiveness over her. The sweet taste of her lips made his heart race, the kiss growing more intense than the last.

Their tongues danced together, exploring every inch of each other's mouths. When they finally pulled away, his eyes were blazing with a fierce intensity as he stared at her, "I'll see you tomorrow."