Chapter Seventeen ۞ The Rift

Despite Valeriana being against the idea of everyone fighting each other, everyone else seemed casual about it. Keelan, the twins, and the earth-girl actually shrieked in chorus, though. The others seemed not too shocked.

It was as if it wasn't that uncommon--like a ritual they had done a thousand times before. Although a bit confused, the girl decided to shut her mouth and remain in her seat. Perhaps it wasn't too strange? The looks they wore on their faces were casual and they didn't even move a millimeter in their seats.

She wasn't afraid of fighting one of the Twelve but fact was she did not know what to expect.

"That's not too much trouble." Answered Corvan. "Everyone else agrees."

"It's a surprise you did." Zander commented, exchanging glances with the first-ranker. "With the way some reacted, I expected disagreement."

"Nonsense." Charles huffed. "They are just not used to the idea. It's their first year to hold a title, it's expected."

"I did hear the Circle can fight amongst each other." Genevieve said. "I did not expect it to be this way."

"So, then . . ." Zevlin began, somewhat nervous. "We really have to go through this?"

His worries went unheard as the DevDept were more focused on the current topic at hand. Valeriana could only stare at him in sympathy.

"And you're going to use gears made by one of the best DevDept students, your victory will account greatly on theirs. The gears should withstand attacks well and be very efficient." Harley's fist slammed against his palms as his bright eyes further twinkled at the new idea. "Amazing!"

Coral and Harley were both celebrating at that point while everyone else were in deep thought about the possible outcomes of the plan, if not, the side-effects.

"Good." Elfre hammered the arm of her chair to add additional force behind her words. "Why don't we decide who we fight right now? So we can get to it immediately."

Keelan was looking back and forth between the speakers that he was starting to feel quite dizzy. In the end, he gave up and his shoulders slackened right afterwards. A small mutter of sadness escaped his lips.

"I hate this . . . I don't want to fight anybody."

"Personally, we have to decide on what the people might want to see. This show is supposed to be a crowd-pleaser, after all." Cail smirked at this, glancing between every member with a pair of mischievous eyes.

"What are you getting at?"

"Are you hinting on something?"

A chorus of voices came to question his intentions. He answered them straight.

"The friendship between you guys is undeniable. And it isn't a secret some of you are more tied to one another in terms of history than you would say." Cail was smiling at this, giving the Twelve a rush of trepidation. "Not to mention it'll be interesting to see a fight between those specific pairs."

"Wait a moment." Rowe stood up with a rare crease between his brows. "I do not like what you are getting at."

"Right." Aneeka agreed. "Although we give you a chance to suggest good ideas, you're crossing the line."

"Your ideas are honestly awful." Raziel made a face of disgust.

"Why is that?" Zander challenged. "Are you afraid this would disrupt the delicate balance you all put yourselves in?"

"Zander." Darcius warned sternly.

"Or are you just scared this would break off the agreement you all came to? Face it. Cowards."