56

"I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN our last night's conversation."

"Let's not talk about this here," Emery muttered, trying to keep up with Klaus's steps. She didn't take part in the whole Miss Mystic Falls thing, nor has she ever danced so she didn't know what she was doing. She could only hope she would not trip and embarrass herself.

Klaus pursed his lips, deciding to drop it for now. Neither of them could feel the stare of Esther on them as they moved. The original witch's lips curled up into a smirk while she took a sip of her wine.

"God, how long is this dance?" Emery muttered under her breath earning an amused chuckle from the hybrid, "it's been only twenty five seconds, love. Time to switch."

"Switch?" She repeated, confused, "what do you mean by that—" her confusion was cleared when Klaus spun her around and let go of her hand so she was caught by another man. Her hands leaned on Kol's shoulders. He flashed her a smile before they continued dancing.

"Emery, right?" He attempted to start a conversation. When she nodded, his smile widened, "you're stunning."

"Thank you," she tried not to let her cheeks heat up. She couldn't deny that he was intimidating. "Kol, right?"

"Also known as the best Mikaelson," he shot her a smug smile, "now I know you're taken by my brother so I have a question for you."

"Shoot."

"Do you have any siblings?" He asked, "legal ones, of course."

The witch chuckled at that, she shook her head, "unfortunately not."

"That's just too bad," Kol faked a look of disappointment. The two continued dancing, exchanging small talks until it was time to switch again. Once the dance ended, Klaus approached Emery and dragged her outside.

"Your brother's nice," she spoke as they walked outside. Klaus let out a scoff, "who, Kol? You wouldn't be saying that if you knew him as well as I do."

"He can't be worse than you," she joked earning a small chuckle from the hybrid. "Why do you keep hurting me?" His tone was filled with amusement. Emery parted her lips, about to come up with something when her eyes caught sight of a horse.

"Shit, you have a horse," she approached the animal, "I've always wanted one."

"Why didn't you get one?"

"I thought it'd be weird to just walk around on a horse in mystic falls," she shrugged, "and I don't really have a place to keep one or the time to look after one."

"You know, horses are the opposite of people," he began, "they're loyal. My father hunted me for a thousand years and the closest he ever came was the day he killed my favorite horse. He severed its neck with a sword as a warning."

"Your father's a dick," she began stroking the horse, "I'm glad he's dead—" she winced, giving him a half-apologetic look, "sorry, was that insensitive?"

"No," he breathed out a laugh, "he's always been a dick."

"Mine was too," she muttered making him look at her with a curious look. She has never spoken about her father before, never mentioned him at all. He just realized that he knew absolutely nothing about her family except her mother.

"You've never mentioned him before," he noticed how she didn't keep a picture of her father but only her mother, "is he still around?"

"No," she kept stroking the animal, "he's dead."

"How did he die?"

Emery went quiet at that.

He let out a small sigh, "let's go back inside."

"No," she didn't turn to look at him as she admitted in a low voice, "I— I killed him."

Klaus's eyes widened slightly. He bit his lip as he took a step forward, placing his hand over hers on the horse. "You don't have to tell me."

"I want to," she turned to look at him, "he was not the best father. He was rather—" she paused, a sigh getting past her lips as she gathered her words together. "When my mom died, he lost it. He needed something to vent on, he wanted to forget, get rid of the pain of loosing her."

Klaus pursed his lips, knowing where this was going. He said nothing and let her continue. "So he'd get drunk out of his ass and take out his anger and pain on me. One day I couldn't take it anymore and I killed him."

"Well then I'm glad he's dead," he copied her words from earlier making her lips twitch up. "Do you regret it? Killing him?"

"Sometimes," she muttered, "rarely. I can't help it. Anyways, let's go back inside." She realized that she stopped caring about her father a long time ago. It was only when she'd have one of her moments that she'd regret what she did. But in the end, she knew he deserved it.

"Let's," he interlocked their fingers, "I want to show you something."