four: my brother hates me

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Jackson and I walk into Steak n' Shake laughing at a joke he had previously said. I would repeat it, but it was one of those 'you had to be there' moments. The waitress shoots us an annoyed look as we couldn't stop laughing.

"I'm so sorry, miss," Jackson apologizes trying not to laugh any more than he was. "We'd like a table for two, please." The annoyed waitress grabs two menus and motions for us to follow.

Well, isn't she just the sweetest pie in the bakery?

Jackson and I take a seat at a table in the back corner. The brunette lady who looks like she's in her upper twenties hands us two menus before speaking in a monotone manner. "My name is Rachel, and I will be serving you today," she shifts her weight onto her right leg while she pulls out one of those note pads. "What can I get you to drink?"

I glance at Jackson who is trying to hold back his laughter as well as I am. After we both place our drink order and she is out of earshot, we burst into another fit of laughter. I wipe the tears from my eyes as I try to calm my laughter.

"She certainly is happy to be here," I say after I finally calm down. Jackson nods in agreement before scanning the menu. I do the same, my eyes landing on the bacon cheeseburger.

When Rachel returns with our drinks, she stands at the end of our table impatiently waiting for us to tell her our orders. Jackson orders a double cheeseburger while I decide on the bacon cheeseburger. Yum.

"So, Marley," Jackson folds his hands in front of him. Are we in some kind of business meeting? Ha. "Tell me about yourself."

I pull my legs up in my seat to sit in a criss cross position. Positioning my elbows on the table, I fold my hands together giving Jackson my full attention.

"Well, what do you want to know about me?" I tilt my head slightly.

"Everything," he replies with a smile. A smile that one could die for.

I roll my eyes jokingly. "Be more specific," I laugh and he joins with me.

"Okay, tell me why I haven't heard of you before the other day. I mean, I have been rivals with your brother for years so," he pauses.

I take a deep breath in. "Well," I pause, "this is only my second week living in California so there's that." I shift in my seat before continuing. "When I was six, my parents divorced and my mom got custody of me while my dad got custody of Conner." Jackson's eyes show sympathy, but I don't need sympathy. "My dad and brother moved to California to further Conner's soccer career and my mom and I stayed in North Carolina." I shrug not knowing what else to say.

"I'm sorry," he smiles slightly.

"Don't be. It's not your fault," I smile back.

"So, how did you end up in California?" He folds his arms and leans back into his chair.

"By a plane," I jokingly reply earning a laugh from him.

"Ha. Ha." He rolls his eyes at me. Sitting up and mirroring my actions, his face turns all serious. "Why did you have to move to California?"

I pick at my fingers nervously. Should I tell him? I mean, it would be nice to have another friend, one I could trust, but this is only the second time I've met Jackson.

"Ask me another time," I pause, "I'm not ready to talk about it." I quickly wipe away the tears that are forming in my eyes.

Jackson grabs my hand sending me a comforting smile.