The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Don't want to close my eyes
I don't want to fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you babe
And I don't want to miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you babe
And I don't want to miss a thing
- I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing, Aerosmith

IT HAD BEEN TWO MONTHS.

            Chelsea had finally gotten her life to the normalcy it was before she met Jay. She was topping her classes, her family was just as weird as they usually were and all of her friends were close. It was like she was on the top of the world.

            She hadn’t really kept her promise to Jay. Yes, there was no more hostility or awkwardness between them but they didn’t see each other much. He was always whisked away by Dani as soon as she caught them talking to each other. In fact, they’d probably only had three conversations in the weeks that had passed by.

            “Remember, seven o’clock sharp Cece!” Jordan called from across the parking lot. She raised her hand to show that she understood before walking over to Andy’s car. Since Will needed the kid’s car for work, he’d been taking them to and from school everyday. Chelsea had told him over and over that they were fine taking the bus, but he wasn’t having it.

            “What if you get assaulted by a hobo?” was his usual excuse. In the end she gave up her argument- especially since Sadie complained to her three nights straight about having to go on smelly public transport. Anyway, it wasn’t like Andy complained that taking them was a hassle. It was almost like he enjoyed doing it… even when Sadie was on her time of the month and ripping everyone’s head off. 

            “We still going to Jordie’s tonight?” he asked her as she got into the passenger seat.

            “Of course, she’s threatened to go all serial killer on us if we ditch.”

            Andy nodded his head. “That sounds like Miss Frost.”

            They dropped Sadie off at home and Chelsea ran inside to grab her overnight bag, telling her dad she was going in the process. It only took a few minutes to get Andy’s stuff because he lived near the Frosts.

When they arrived, they were greeted by all of their other friends. Willa had already changed into pink pyjamas littered with sharks on the front (a large contradiction) and was sitting in a pile of pillows on the floor. Ian was next to her, stuffing his face with Cheetos.

“Finally!” Jordan cried. “I thought you’d gotten lost!”

Chelsea laughed at her. “Yeah, even though I’ve been here hundreds of times.”

“You never know. You might have had temporary memory loss.” The small girl winked at her before leading them over to the pillow cocoon.

The whole games room had been transformed into a sleeping area. It was all for Jordan’s celebration of the fact she got into Harvard early, since her marks were fantastic. She decided to do a sleepover that went all the way through the weekend, starting on the Friday night. Chelsea knew it was going to be a blast.

Especially since Jay was meant to be staying the night at Dani’s house.

“First we’re going to pick out movies,” Jordan said once they were all settled. “Then we’re going to eat junk food until we die!”