3: A real fan

Cliff was the only one of us three that owned a driving license, so Rick sent him to drive both of our cars back to Cielo drive. We both had taken the decision to walk home since none of us had a license. It was nice to walk and get to know Rick better as a person and not just an actor, even if I didn't know much about the actor either. I hadn't seen a movie of his. But we had other things to talk about. We had a long conversation about his alcohol problems. It seemed like he thought it was nice to get it out and talk to someone.

"Well, I got lines to practice." Rick said when we arrived at his house, seeing that both of our cars were there.

"You goin' to work tomorrow? Recording your movie?" I leant against the wall as he stood in the doorway.

"Yes, actually."

"Sure you don't want any help? I mean, since you helped me." I tried my best to convince him, I would love to see how an actor worked.

"Yes, I'm sure. I'll do this my own way but thanks anyways, honey." He smiled up at me.

"I'll see you later then, some day." I waved at him as I walked towards my van who Cliff had parked in the same spot as before.

"Thanks a lot y/n." He spoke up causing me to turn around with an confused look on my face. "For listening at my problems. I appreciate it."

My whole body relaxed when I finally felt another feeling than hate as I talked with Rick. Maybe he didn't think I was that bad. "Your welcome." I gave him a smile while waving, him waving back with that sweet expression only he could have.

"Wait, are you alright? I hope I didn't hurt you too bad." He gave me his best smile when I faced him. I understand that he was talking about my damaged nose.

"It's fine, it was just a normal nosebleed. Nothing to worry about." I said since it had stopped bleeding.

"Alright. Just knock on the door if you need me. Then I'll be there."

"I will. And you can always knock on my door if you ever want to talk."

I was laying down in the back of my car, with my legs up against the wall and a camera in my hands. Apparently, Cliff had put it back when he drove my car back. My hands searched for a strawberry which I had bought in the store earlier today. I guided it to my mouth as I continued to watch the old pictures of me and my friends. Those pictures reminded me that Rick was able to see everything on that camera, he clearly knew more things about me than I thought.

After a while, I heard a car pass by so I left everything in the car to check who it was. It was someone I couldn't recognize, probably Ricks neighbors. Being outside made me hear the voices coming from Ricks backyard. I thought I could go up to the roof again to see who he was talking to, I did and this time without any help.

"To my wife and all the sweethearts, may they never meet." Rick was smoking a cigarette as he laid on a blue floating mattress in the middle of the big pool. He was wearing a dark blue shirt and he had some sort of voice recorder in his lap, probably to practice his lines. "Senior Madrid, you care to join me at the table where I entertain my guests?" While he was doing his usual work, I was laying on the roof and listening to his voice. "Take the bootle with you." He paused for a second, taking a sip of his drink. "So, Johnny. What brings you to Arroyo del Oro? Who's paying around here? And what have you heard about me?" He said as he blew out the smoke from his cigarette. "Hey, where's that chili pepper daughter of yours with her fiddle? Well, wake her the heck up and get her down here with her fiddle and her bow to entertain my guests." He could every single line by himself and it was interesting to see. There was something about his voice, I could stay there listening to him for hours. "I ain't gonna hurt her. I just want her to play the fiddle. Now go fetch her and tell her I'll give her a fat five dollar gold piece if she plays her little chili pepper heart out. Go on!" He said with an angry attitude. "Johnny, what else have you heard?" His voice paused for a moment, letting the other characters speak. "Maybe he already has." He finished his scene.

We both laid there for about an hour, he was practicing his lines and I was listening. He was such an talented actor, he knew every single word. I would've loved to see him in character someday. I had lost count of how many times he had practiced the same lines over and over again and after some time of practice, I heard the sound of water splashing. I looked up to see him swimming, so I hurried down from the roof and into my car.

The next day, I had token my car to the city. There was lots of fun things to do in Hollywood. The big theater took my whole attention. For a year ago, I would've dreamt about seeing my own face on that screen. But Rick was the only one I could think of, I'd love to see him there. Maybe myself one day.

I felt quite alone there on the streets, especially when I saw groups of people having lots of fun. Some girls were walking towards me who sat in the luggage of my car. They had colorful clothes and carried food in their hands.

"Hey!" A brunette girl smiled and threw a apple at me, me catching it with my both hands.

"Thanks!" I smiled back as they passed by the parking lot.

I looked at the clock on my wrist to find out that he movie store had just opened. Since my neighbor was Rick Dalton, I just had to watch some of his movies. That's the reason I came up with. I jumped into the front seat to drive over to the store I had seen on my way home yesterday. My excitement got me running into the small shop, looking for something with Ricks face on. My eyes scanned all of the shelves, but I couldn't find anything. It took too long so I decided to ask someone who worked there.

"Hello?" I searched for someone between the shelves. "Hey, can you help me?"

"Sure I can." A blonde girl turned around to face me. She was wearing a black shirt and a pair of sunglasses on her head. Everyone seemed so sweet around here.

"I'm looking for a movie starring Rick Dalton. Just anyone with him and it would be great." I laughed at how I seemed like a huge fan.

"Oh Rick, yeah I know him. Can you help her? She's looking for a movie starring Rick Dalton. I'm sure you're better at that than me." She seemed to be talking with a colleague who was behind her.

"I think so. Don't worry, I'll help you." Her colleague said as he walked to another shelve, filled with action and adventure movies. "Have you seen Bounty Law? Or is it to your boyfriend?" He showed me a VHS tap there Rick was on the cover wearing a cowboy hat.

"No it's to myself, I haven't watch any of his movies so it's time."

Suddenly I was on my way home with both a small tv that I'm thankful it fit in the car, and a VHS tape of Bounty Law. While I was driving back to Cielo drive, I couldn't stop thinking about Rick. I felt like a ridiculous fan who was planning a whole conversation with him. I just didn't want to embarrass myself in front of him and that was normal in my case.

He was an amazing actor, he really was. I loved seeing him on television and inside another character. He did seem different from reality, more comfortable with himself. But Bounty Law was filmed years ago so I guessed things had changed since then.

———
Let's pretend VHS tapes were invented:)