Chapter 12

Elena’s POV:

            Melody, Becca, Candice, and I were spending the day setting up for the Spring Formal dance. It was the day of the dance, believe it or not, and the four of us were part of the dance commity. The Spring Formal dance was being held at a fancy ball room that all the dances are usually held at. Our school never throws the dances at our gym, because people complain that it smells like stinky socks and we don’t want to be dancing and eating in a place where people usually sweat and work out.

            The ball room was big and fancy, and had a stage perfect for the DJ to set up his stuff. Lined up on one side of the room was a long table at where the food, drinks, and plates would be kept. In the middle of the room and near the stage would be the dance floor, and around it but a few feet away would be round tables that seated four people. Above the stage was a sign that said ‘2013 Spring Formal’ in pink and green cursive writing. The tables had lavender colored table cloths on them, with the center piece being a tall glass that was filled with water with a single red rose dipped inside, and a circular candle floating on top.

            Everything looked perfect and fit for the dance, and I couldn’t wait for tonight. When Candice and Becca found out that Harry was my date to the dance, they freaked out and started claiming that the two of us would soon start dating. They’re relentless about it, but I love them anyway. Then we started bothering Candice about the fact that Niall asked her to the dance. Niall was the nicest out of the five boys, and I personally think that him and Candice would be perfect together. Both of them are on the quiet side, but at the same time have a lot in common. The two of them can eat like a pig, but won’t gain a pound. And they love playing video games too, since Candice isn’t exactly a girly girl.

            As I put the center piece for one of the tables, I turned to Becca. “So wait, who’s your date to the dance?” I ask her.

            “Ryder Miller,” she replies with a smile. I think for a moment, the name sounding familiar. Then I realized that he was on the school’s football team, the goalie, to be exact. “Who are Liam and Louis going with?” she asks.        

            “Louis is going with that Year 11 girl, Eleanor Calder,” I say. “And Liam is bringing his girlfriend, Danielle Peazer.”      

            “Oh yeah,” Becca grins. “I forgot Liam had a girlfriend.”

            Candice, who had just finished putting the plates on the long table, comes up to me. “Are you excited for tonight?” she asks. “I mean, with Harry being your date and all.”

            I blush slightly. “Yeah, I am,” I say. “I just hope it won’t be too awkward or anything.”

            We work for twenty five more minutes, until the head of the dance committy, Marilyn Chambers, announces, “Alright, girls! We did a fabulous job setting up. You can all head home and start getting ready for the dance! I’ll see you then.”           

            Everyone starts gathering their stuff and we leave the building, heading towards our car. We all had came in Becca’s car, and before she dropped us all off, we got some frozen yogurt from Pinkberry. By the time I had been dropped home, it was five-thirty. Entering my house, I briefly greeted Lucy and Tyler before running up the stairs and into my room, closing the door shut. I walked into my bathroom and turned the shower on. Taking my clothes off, I stepped underneath the lukewarm water and closed my eyes as it ran down my smooth skin.

            Once I had shampooed and conditioned my hair, I stepped out of the shower and wrapped my white towel around my body. I walked out of my bathroom and went over to my dresser. I slipped on my grey sweat pants with a baggy white tee, and then grabbed my hair dryer. For the next ten minutes or so, I blow dried my hair until it was perfectly straight, silky, and dry. Once I did that, I took the curling iron and curled my hair, looking into the mirror as I curled my hair into cute, loose ringlets.