[29] A Mistake

[A/E/N]

Apologies for... the month hiatus. We had a few issues to take care of, surprisingly, we do have a life outside of writing a silly fanfic. That being said, the story is going to be a tad bit wonky or inconsistent because we can't remember the details as perfectly. Sorry in advance for any mistakes made.

---

Several days have passed. Kristoph remains his little investigation a secret, as well as [Y/N]. They both refuse to tell each other what they've discovered. Nevertheless, they've met up today anyway.

To go and see Amy Stake.

Truth be told, they both have their doubts. Amy was confirmed dead, and [Y/N] delivered the final blow. A dead man cannot speak. Logically, they assumed the letter was sent by Noddac but even that was dismissed when he confessed he didn't have anything to do with it. To say it was from Edgeworth, he isn't in town.

...A letter can't be sent on its own.

At present time, [Y/N] and Kristoph are in the car, heading to the destination scribbled on the crumbled paper. The man has to explain why it's crumpled but [Y/N] doesn't respond. Whatever he's saying is falling on deaf ears. This is going to be one hell of an awkward ride.

They both remain silent in the vehicle after that, not daring to speak. [Y/N] notices Klavier isn't with them, but they refuse to ask. He's probably busy. The streets are particularly noisy since it's nearing dusk. Not quite rush hour yet, they're not stuck in traffic.

The tension is absolutely suffocating, [Y/N] swallows their pride and breaks the ice. "It's okay."

They said. Kristoph hums in question and they clear their throat, "The... the paper. It's alright if it's crumbled, we're not using it for anything else."

The man on the left lets out a sigh of relief, "Ah, that. I was certain you would be upset. It appears not." He smiles slightly, his eyes keen on the road. "On the other hand, you seem rather passive. Is something the matter?"

[Y/N] shifts in their seat, "No, well... Just a bit nervous. I mean, what if I do meet Amy? That would be really... weird. For the both of us, that is."

Kristoph doesn't respond. He's thinking of a reply. They have a point, what would happen if the victim meets their culprit? He doesn't think it's likely but it's something worth imagining. His grip on the steering wheel tightens as he clenches his jaw. He doesn't like the pressure the situation is putting on [Y/N] because it's straight-up ridiculous. Amy is dead, there's nothing to it. It's been blatantly proven. Yet, he can't shake off the feeling that she might actually show up.

The man does one last turn before he parks the car at the lot. They've arrived.

[ 3:45 PM - Central Park ]

"I'll go ahead and wait at the bench, you can wait in the car and watch over me," [Y/N] says as per agreement. Kristoph is to watch from afar as they wait and potentially meet their deceased roommate.

"...Stay safe," is all he could say. He was against this in the first place but it's too late to turn around now. [Y/N] steps out of the vehicle and makes their way to the bench, sitting on it. The tinted windows on his car avoids him from being seen by other people, much to their advantage.

The park is lively. Most are teens exercising after school. Some are elderly people walking their dogs. It looks so peaceful. [Y/N] takes in the fresh air, last time they were at the park was when they struck the deal with Kristoph.

"My, haven't I been on a really long journey? What more could be fated of me?" They ask themselves. Fair, they've murdered but it doesn't warrant an entire chain of events leading up to this... or maybe it does. They hunch over and sigh, this is all starting to get to them. All they can do is face them head-on as they normally do.