Chapter 30

I smiled and looked out over the crowd with a wide smile. I walked down the cleared space created for the Elite to walk down and paused at the end of the walkway where the other Elite were waiting with their dancing partners.

"Let the Ball begin!" Maxon declared loudly, and with that, the music started.

Since family was here, we would do an opening dance with a family member or friend of our choosing. I was dancing with Harrison, and I could see Aaron dancing with Olivia while America danced with Maxon, and Marlee with a man she had never met before.

The music began at a light waltz for the Elite. I stepped delicately across the floor, my gown brushing others as I was spun out. The music brought joy to my heart, and I hadn't been this happy in a long time.

In fact, it was probably the Spring Ball. With losing my family, being kidnapped, and forced into a life of oppression, I never felt decent enough to let myself enjoy what was happening around me. Now, I knew my family was at peace, and I still had my brother here. In fact, I had more cousins than I could ever imagine. I'm back in the place I truly belonged, and now I'm living the life I never knew I wanted.

I was smiling broadly as I danced with Harrison for what seemed like hours. I felt sweat building on my back from all of the dancing, but I didn't care. Harrison seemed to be having a good time, too.

Eventually, the song changed to a foxtrot, which wasn't something I specialized in. Harrison had yet to learn that dance, so we both sat out. Harrison went to socialize with somebody, but I wasn't sure who. Probably Olivia or one of our cousins. Goodness, it felt odd to say cousins.

We had never really had cousins, considering the absence in my father's side. My Uncle Samson died at a young age fighting in New Asia, and Uncle Darry lost his wife while she was with child to cancer. That was why he loved our family so much.

I settled down in a chair next to Marlee to sit and socialize. she was wearing an elegant floral gown, accompanied by a beautiful crown. I straightened my skirt and crossed my legs. "Hey," I greeted her with a bright smile.

"Hey, Elisa. This is Prince Lucca, the eldest prince of Italy," she introduced. The man beside her had dark hair that was thick and fluffed at the top. He was handsome in his fitted black suit and tie, probably tailored to size.

"Your highness," I addressed Lucca.

"I was never one for formalities. Just call me Luc," he smirked. I nodded my head at his request.

"How are you enjoying the ball?" Marlee asked with a smile, her auburn wisps framing her face that held a brilliant white smile.

"I love it. I honestly can't see myself anywhere else but here with everyone else," I gushed.

"It is a lovely atmosphere, isn't it?" She asked, her blue eyes sparkling.

"Marlee, would you do me the honor of a dance?" He asked with a mischievous smile.

"Do you mind?" She asked with an eager look on her face.

"No, of course not," I beamed. "Go dance!" She mouthed 'Thank you' and ran off to the dance floor with the Italian Prince. I shook my head and laughed before returning to my glass of champagne. I took a small sip as I looked out on everyone dancing.

"Elisa," a voice called behind me. I turned my head to see Nathan. It was odd to see him in anything other than his black t-shirt and black jeans, but he did look amazing in his black suit with a golden tie. The tie matched his eyes, and my dress.

"Nathan," I stuttered. I sat my glass of champagne down and turned to face him the best I could in my chair.

"Would you do me the honors?" He asked, extending a hand. I nodded my head and took his hand.

He led me out to the floor and I placed my other hand on his shoulder. The music was light, and we began to dance. I followed his lead as we danced around the ballroom, and I could feel my dress brush against his toes.

"Out of everyone here, you look the most beautiful," he whispered so that nobody could hear.

The blush crept up on my neck. "Nathan," I started.

He cut me off. "No, Elisa. If I want to compliment you, I will. I'm not going to quit until you realize just how lovely you are compared to these other girls here, which would be happy to take Aaron's heart willingly."

"You would be willing to take me away? People are already suspicious that I like you more than I should. They're calling it Stockholm syndrome, Nathan."

"Why should you care what they think? You should know more than anyone that opinions don't matter. It hasn't stopped you before," he murmured.

"There are going to be consequences eventually, Nathan," I said softly. "I don't want you to make that sacrifice."

"You're the only good thing in my life that's happened to me since my mom died," he confessed. I locked eyes with his.

"Nathan, I love you to an extent of which I don't even know, but I can't live knowing that I can never go public with you. You're Royal blood; you can't have scandal."

"When the selection is over, we can be together. I'll wait however long it takes, Elisa. I love you too much to put it on hold."

He left me standing on the dance floor like an idiot. I didn't know what to do because I just felt confused. Eventually, the dance floor cleared out. Some Royal official came out to make an announcement.

"If all members of the Selection would make their way to the floor with their father, we will begin with the Illèan Waltz, consisting of only the Elite and his royal Highness, Prince Aaron Schreave."

I began to panic. My father was no longer alive; who was I to dance with? I could dance with Aaron because he was with America, and they were already in dancing position. The music started, and everyone around me started dancing. Harrison didn't know the Illèan Waltz, so I was stuck on the middle of the dance floor with no partner, a useless jewel.

I felt tears pricking my eyes as I looked for an escape, but as I began to run away, a hand grabbed mine and pulled me into a spin. I caught a glimpse of a crown, and when I stopped spinning, I could see that Maxon had taken the liberty to dance with me.

"Lady Elisa," he addressed with a nod of his head.

"King Maxon? What are you doing?" I asked as we settled back into the fluid movements of the dance.

"I didn't know anything of this. I'm so sorry; I only felt like it was the right thing to do," he explained quickly.

"Thank you for saving me from the embarrassment. I could only imagine what Illèa Weekly would have said next week," I chuckled lightly. He hummed in response, but I could tell the smile on his face was grim and secretive, as if he were hiding something.