XIX - The Road Ahead

The Golem was indeed big and metal. In fact it was huge. Aelith had taken him up to the roof arena and they had traced out the circle in the sand. Not the wisest move considering the wind was still fairly strong up there and the sand didn't want to stay in the neat symbols required, but it was the only accessible space big enough.

The Golem was human in form, except it was more than 2 meters tall and at least a meter wide, made entirely of a silvery metal and holding a shield that could shelter at least 4 of Iatus behind it. It had a somewhat vacant expression on its face and was looking around, puzzled. Apparently it was known as Fiuren, but that seemed a little complex for it.

"Excellent, now, dismiss it before it starts to smash something," Aelith shouted and Iatus obeyed.

They had got up early to perform the summons and they were due to depart for Gaul in less than an hour.

Iatus said the dismissal spell for the golem and dragged himself to the stairway.

"It's too early for this, Aelith."

"Count yourself lucky, usually I would recommend an escort of six to ten of those."

"Why aren't you recommending that for me? Don't you like me?" Iatus said in mock pain.

"Shut up, you know perfectly well you can't turn up with a small army of golems on your first excursion. Hide your power,"

Iatus smiled, "It would be good to see the look on their faces though..."

"Yes, but that sort of thing is what gets magi killed. No-one sends a nightcrawler after some puny kid."

When they reached the courtyard they found it had been taken over by a heard of horses over 200 strong. They skirted warily around them until they spotted Max sat on a trunk with his face in his hands.

"Morning Max."

Max looked up to see Iatus and smiled.

"Morning, Iatus, ready to go?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Where's your luggage? Has it already been loaded?"

"No, Ael... I mean Ava said I should travel light, you know, less to carry around, less to have to leave behind. I've got his bag with some things in it, that's me."

Max bit his lip and looked at his large trunk, "Do you think I should leave this?"

Iatus nodded sadly and Max popped open the catches and pulled out a few things and bundled them up in a toga.

"You brought your toga?"

"Yeah, for our Triumph ceremony..."

Iatus smiled at the boy's confidence and shook his head, he had seen a few of those and they were grand affairs, the victorious legate, and occasionally an officer who had uniquely distinguished himself, was paraded through the streets to the senate house, where he received a laurel wreath and a large bounty. War was most profitable in Rome.

Other students were arriving now, most were carrying big chests like Max. The older students seemed to be carrying about the same as Iatus. Amber also was in their group, she seemed to be taking nothing at all.

Just as the sun was visible over the high walls Claudius came riding in on a white stallion. He rode over to the student body and looked at them harshly.

"Where do you think you are going to do with those chests, you lot? Perhaps Daddy's summer villa?"

The students looked at each other, confused.