Bring me my princess

"Go get my most worthy knight, my servant." "Yes, prince Lucas." His servant bows, going to the most trusted knight's living quarters. "Prince Lucas requests your presence, knight Maya." I let out a slight sigh. "Alright.." His servent escorts me to the prince's presence. I bow slightly. "My prince." I stop bowing, averting my focus onto him. "Why have you asked of me?" "There is a girl.." He starts. "A girl?" I ask. "A princess. A beautiful princess I want you to rescue and bring back here so I can marry her." I get a little confused. "Not to argue with you, but if there's a princess that you want to marry, shouldn't you go to get her? Her palace may be different, she may marry the one who came and rescued her." I explained. Prince Lucas laughs a little. "No kingdom does that. There is nothing to worry about. Besides, I am needed here in the castle. I can not leave for means like this, so I send you, my most trustworthy knight." He explained, "now go, bring me back my princess." I bow slightly. "Yes prince." I go on my way to leave the kingdom, mumbling to myself, "if you can't leave the kingdom for means like this, then why should I? Now I have to deal with a stuck up princess and a lazy prince." I let out an annoyed sigh. As I leave the kingdom, everything outside of the castle is so barren. "Do they not care for their people at all?" I asked myself as I went into the town. I'm walking through the town, and it's horrible. Everyone looks so miserable and broken. I walk up to a random lady with two kids. "What's happened to the town? Do they not care for their people?" The way I remeber it, it was amazing. Everyone was always so happy and smiling. "It's been like this for as long as I can remeber." She starts, catching me off guard, causing my eyes widen. "Wha- no. No! That can't be. Everyone used to be so happy before." I protested. She smiles slightly. "That's when we still had hope that it'd get better. But as time went on, we lost hope of anything ever getting better for us." She explained. I look down slightly, "oh," I start sadly, "I understand. I'm sorry to bother you." I'm about to go, my head hanging, when she stops me, "wait!" I quickly stop, spinning around to face her. "Yes?" She looks at me intently for a couple seconds. "Aren't you a knight for the kingdom?" She asked. I stand up straight, keeping my posture like it should be. "I am." I replied. "Then you must have direct contact with the king." I rub the back of my neck slightly, "well, the prince. I do not see the king or queen. If I do, it is a very rare occasion where I need to protect them all." She looks at me for a second, as if she's trying to process what I just said. "But you can still say something. We need you to do something." I smile slightly at her words, but it soon fades. "I will, but at the moment, I have to go fetch a princess for the prince.." I sigh slightly. "I will say something when I get back." She smiles wide. "Oh thank you noble knight! You have restored my hope once again!" She said happily, causing me to smile again. "Of course." I smile slightly as I go on my way.