eight

"It's cold, mija!" the woman called after her. Camila turned around, looking down at the snow underneath her boots and crinkling her nose.

"But I wanna go sledding!" the smaller girl protested, turning around and looking up at the sky. She caught a snowflake on her tongue and smiled happily to herself.

"Is it that obvious that she's never seen snow before?" her mother laughed and turned to her father, who was tugging on his own boots. Camila's parents stood on the front porch of their cabin at the ski lodge. Camila was knee deep in snow a feet few away from them.

"You need a jacket, silly," her mother laughed, motioning to Camila to join them on the porch. Huffing, the smaller girl trudged back through the snow and hopped onto the wooden steps.

"But it's not cold," Camila protested, just as a swift breeze caused her to shiver. Her mother simply laughed and ushered the younger girl into the front room of the cabin.

"You'll be cold, trust me," the dark haired woman chuckled. She grabbed the pastel yellow coat from the hanger by the door. Camila allowed her to help her slip into the jacket, wiggling her arms when she realized the sleeves were slightly too long.

"Where does snow come from?" Camila asked, sitting down on the small bench by the door and gazing longingly out the window.

"It's just really cold rain," her mother laughed and knelt down in front of the small girl, smoothing out her hair and gently slipping a yellow beanie onto her head. Camila smiled, tugging the material down and turning to look at her reflection in the window.

"At least we know we won't lose you," her father laughed, appearing in the doorway. Camila looked up and giggled, clasping her hands together.

"Can we go sledding now?" she asked pleadingly, pressing her palms against the cold glass.

"Whatever you want, kiddo," her father laughed and ruffled her hair. Camila gasped playfully, bringing her hands up to her head to fix her beanie. Both of her parents laughed.

"Can we bring some snow home?" the smaller girl asked, hopping down the front steps of the cabin and stomping her boots in the snow. She was fascinated by the white flakes slowly drifting down from the sky.

"It'll all melt in the Florida heat," her mother laughed. Camila pouted and hopped into a snow bank, giggling when she practically sunk knee-deep in the snow.

"I'm stuck!" she cried dramatically, falling backwards and gazing up at the sky. She narrowed her eyes, suddenly growing distracted by the flakes falling from the sky.

"Look!" Camila pointed upwards. "Look at the snow!"

"What about it, mija?"

"It's just so... beautiful," the child breathed out, in awe by the image above her. "Mommy, come lay down and look up." Moments later, she was joined by both of her parents, lying back in the snow next to her and gazing up at the sky.

"You're right," her mother laughed, reaching over and wiping the snow off of her daughter's face.

"This is so much better than rain," Camila giggled, bringing her hands above her head and trying to catch snowflakes on her mittens. "This is the best day ever."

"Ever?" her father raised an eyebrow. Camila giggled and copied him, tilting her head to the side.

"Yeah, ever," she confirmed. She stuck her tongue out and caught a snowflake before resting her head back on the snow and sighing softly. "Thank you."