The package

"I have news about Gina's baby. That's why I came". The playfulness disappeared from her face and her voice became an octave lower.

"What did you find out?"

"Since we didn't have much info on the baby, I thought I might find out more about the parents. I found Gina and Antonio's medical records. Did you know that Antonio had a congenital heart defect?"

"I-I didn't".

"I thought there is a possibility that their child might have it too. So, I checked for babies that have been registered with this disease over the past three years."

"And?"

"None of them seem to match with Gina and Antonio's genotypes."

"So, nothing yet." I stated rather than asked.

"I'm still working on it".

"Thank you, Feli. But please, leave"

"Fine!" She got up and went out.

As soon as she left, I took back my space on the bed. Like before, I lay with my eyes staring at the ceiling, lost in thought... I never knew Antonio was sick. Is that why my parents gave him special treatment? Gio has VSD, he must have inherited it from his uncle.

I rolled to my side and grabbed my phone from the night stand. I dialed a phone number and waited patiently as it rang.

Someone picked up and his voice resounded from the other end. "Figlio di Lorenzo, how may I help you?"

"Hi, Federico, I need you to do a background check on someone."

"Who?"

"I'll send you his picture... his name is Geraldo Russo. I need to know everything he did before his death, where he went, who he spoke to, EVERYTHING.

"Okay, son."

After a long and silent two seconds, I asked the real question in my mind. "How are you?"

He chuckled slightly from the other end.  "I cannot complain. I heard about Lorenzo's punishment on you."

"Is that so?"

"I have known your Pappa for years, he is using your son to get you to come groveling at his feet"

"The worse thing anyone can do is involve Gio in their sick game"

"If you need any help with him, let me know."

"I appreciate the offer, but I refuse to put my son in the middle of a crossfire between two powerful families"

"I understand"

"Thank you, Don Federico".

***

  The next day, I went out of the hotel and drove to another part of town. I parked in front of a diner and got out. I surveyed the environment from the arguing couple to the partying teenagers, nothing out of the ordinary. I walked into the diner and sat at the table, opposite a friend.

"Good morning, boss." He greeted.

"Good morning, Leo." My eyes darted across the diner for a minute, about three people were having breakfast at their respective tables. I returned my attention to him.  "How is Gio?"