Our family

Patrizio's Point of View

I got ready to head for the United States. I didn't take anything with me except my passport and necessary documents. Felicia would've tried to follow me if she knew I was leaving and I didn't want that.

The private plane took off at around 13:00 the day after I spoke with Vera. I could sense the tension in her voice and I couldn't help but worry about her. I can't bear to see her sad even though she has been pushing me away these past few days.

I arrived in New Mexico and took an Uber down to the hospital. There, I met with some of my men who have been keeping track of her. They directed me to where Bella was having surgery. I went in that direction and just a few feet in, the woman of my dreams came running into my arms. She wrapped her arms around my torso and rested her head on my chest. I held her so tight and pressed my lips against her fragrant hair.

"I missed you so much, cara". I whispered in her ear as her hands caressed my neck.

"I missed you too". Her lips brushed against my mine. Slowly, our tongues made contact and rubbed against each other as we submerged ourselves in a passionate kiss.

She broke the kiss almost immediately and moved back. "Um, this is my sister, Theresa but we call her Tessy". She pointed towards a girl sitting on the bench in the corner. The girl got up and walked towards us. They shared similar features such as their brown hair, brown eyes, and button nose.

"You must be Patrizio, I've heard so much about you from Niks" The girl stretched out her hand and I shook it. She gave a firm handshake and bright smile.

"Good things I hope?"

"Of course. You both go ahead, I'll stay here just in case"

"Thanks, Tess". Veronica held onto my arm and we both walked out of the hospital. Just like it was impossible to keep my eyes off Vera, It was equally as hard to ignore the breathtaking scenery of the garden surrounding us. A view such as this one could give life to a dead person. The air was somewhat chilly but at the same time, just right!

I cleared my throat. "So, you got a job?"

"Why do you bother asking if you already know everything?" She chuckled.

"I'm hurt that you kept all this away from me.... but  I should've told you about Gio and my parents. I'm sorry". We found a bench under an oak tree and sat down.

She placed her head on my shoulder.  "I'm sorry too"

"You want coffee? I'll go get some-"

"No, don't worry". She said with a wave of her hand.

"Okay. And please don't misunderstand me Vera, but I'd be more than delighted to take some burden off your hands and handle the medical bills?"

She lifted her head off my shoulder and looked me in the eyes.  "I don't know what to call it, a miracle or trouble..."

I felt her tense up.  "Why do you say so, cara?"

"They told me that some guy paid for Bella's hospital bills, everything. I'm hoping he's not a stalker or something."

I rubbed her back gently. "What's his name?"

She closed her eyes and tried to remember. "I think Pontus ... no, Quintus, yeah that's it"

No way. "Quintus? Quintus Cicero paid your bills"

"Yeah". She nodded. "How do you know him?"

Just then, I notice a black van slowing down a few yards away. The door of the van slid open and the first thing I saw was a black gun.  "GET DOWN!" I pushed her down barely a second before I heard a gunshot. They drove off immediately, I pulled out my gun from my back pocket and shot at the van. The bullet from my gun broke a windshield but they didn't stop. Taking another shot at them would be risky because I could hit any one of the innocent people running into the hospital for safety.

I took out my phone and dialed a number. "Follow them!"

I looked down and saw Veronica passed out on the ground. "Oh shit!" I picked her up in my arms and ran into the hospital. The nurses attended to her immediately while I waited outside.

A few minutes later, the doctor came out into the hallway and met with me. "May I know your relationship with the patient?"

"She's my... my wife"

"Well, the fainting was caused by a rise in blood pressure, but rest assured, she is stabilized now and the baby is fine. You can see her now."  She patted my shoulder and walked away.

Baby? Veronica is pregnant?

I entered the room and found her lying on the bed. She opened her eyes and looked up at me. "I'm guessing she told you..."

I tried to control the tone of my voice by taking in a few deep breaths. "Why would you keep something so important from me, Vera? Tell me."

A tear escaped her eye. "I'm sorry, Patrizio... I was scared"

"Scared of what?"

"Scared that you'd take my baby from me. I don't know why I thought that way". She placed her hand on mine but I pulled away.

"Why in the world would I take our baby away from you? You don't know me as well as you think you do, Vera. You think I'm a monster. I have been trying to show you that I'm better, but you don't want to see that."

"I'm sorry."  She sniffed aloud.

"I don't know what I was thinking sending you here, I should be close to you so I can protect you better."

"What about Gio?"

I looked down in defeat.  "You know I can't leave you here alone"

"I'll be fine, don't worry about me. I'm not alone, I have my sister. Maybe when Bella gets better after her surgery, we can come join you". She grinned.

I drew close to her and placed a kiss on her forehead.  "Our family will be complete soon."